|Department||Department of Education|
|Date Opened||2/13/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||2/27/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$55,000 - $60,000/year|
|Full or Part Time||
DIRECTOR OF SCIENCE & ENGINEERING
Office of Curriculum & Instruction, Oliver Hodge Building, Oklahoma City, OK
Under direction, coordinate and supervise science, engineering and STEM education in Oklahoma public schools; perform related work as required.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in science, education, or closely related field (Master’s Degree and/or National Board Certification preferred) [official transcript(s) required];
• Possession of a valid Oklahoma teaching certificate (K-12) in science or equivalent; and
• Successful experience as a teacher of science (experience in curriculum and instruction leadership preferred).
• Considerable knowledge of state and national science and engineering academic content standards; modern teaching techniques, technology, methods and practices; of literature, trends and sources of information in the field of education; of the application methods and techniques to science programs; of test and measurement including but not limited to large scale assessment requirements related to science education;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, local school officials and the general public; to adapt to an automated work environment; to express ideas clearly and concisely; to judge a situation and adopt an effective course of action;
• Conscientious commitment and willingness to provide courteous, consistent, efficient service through the performance of the prescribed job duties;
• Ability to engage in and effectively guide the activities of others in complex, collaborative projects with tact and discipline;
• Knowledge of federal and state school laws, budgeting methods, and procurement processes;
• Ability to exercise good judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions, organize and present facts and opinions clearly and concisely, and establish effective working relations with other employees and the public;
• Commitment to provide courteous, efficient service through the performance of assigned job duties; and
• Knowledge of technology and the ability to use it to maximize efficiency and services.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
• Collaborate with mathematics directors on joint projects including but not limited to presidential awards and STEM initiatives.
• Provide technical assistance in the implementation and revision of Oklahoma Academic Standards for Science (OAS-S), including leading initiatives to build and support curriculum frameworks.
• Provide technical assistance for the alignment of the Oklahoma School Testing Program with OAS-S including, but not limited to test blueprints, test specifications and item specifications.
• Assist schools with science, engineering and STEM programs; including appropriate methods, materials, teaching media and curricula.
• Organize and conduct workshops in science, engineering, and STEM programs to disseminate current ideas, methods, techniques and uses of materials at both elementary and secondary levels.
• Participate in Oklahoma and National associations and the Council of State Science Supervisors.
• Represent the SDE as consultant and speaker for educators, business and community organizations, etc.
• Provide guidance regarding the use of Title II Part A and Title IV Part A funds as it relates to professional development and other school, district, and state-level activities designed to support schools in developing and sustaining a Program of Excellence in Science.
Under direction of the Executive Director of Instruction, assist in the supervision of support staff.
General office setting
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this position
O (Occasionally) - Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Position requires this activity from 33%-66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5 hrs/day)
C (Constantly) - Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
10 lbs or less F
11-20 lbs O
21-50 lbs O
51-100 lbs N
Over 100 lbs N
Reach Outward O
Reach Over Shoulder O
Squat or Kneel O
Less than 20% travel required with occasional overnight stays.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.