|Department||Department of Wildlife Conservation|
|Date Opened||10/31/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/11/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Full or Part Time||
Must apply online using Department application.
Contact the Human Resource Office with questions: (405) 521-4640.
Full time employees must submit a Letter of Application to the Human Resource Office.
Please attach a transcript to your application; your application will not be considered without an attached transcript.
(Mailed or faxed copies are not accepted)
Applications will be reviewed and the best qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.
All applicants tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to a background check and a urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use before appointment. Appointment to this position will be contingent upon a negative drug test result.
Must be a U. S. Citizen or Alien authorized to work in the United States.
A list of current openings can be found on the Department website at www.wildlifedepartment.com
Position: Fish Biologist – Paddlefish Research Center
Paddlefish Research Center, Miami OK, Ottawa County – location of domicile must be approved by supervisor
SUMMARY OF JOB DUTIES:
Under the supervision of the Paddlefish Program Supervisor, participate in operation and maintenance of the Paddlefish Research Center, as well as assist in the development and implementation of both short and long range paddlefish management program goals and research projects. Oversee and maintain quality control of paddlefish fillet and roe processing and packaging. Is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the successful completion of assigned projects within predetermined guidelines. Must be familiar with the principles and procedures of fish/wildlife management and research. Use scientific methods to gather data regarding fish/wildlife populations and/or habitat. Collect fish/wildlife samples, specimens, and data, including fish fillet and roe processing data. Record and analyze scientific data and prepare and submit detailed reports. Supervise both full time and temporary employees and contract workers. Serve as advisor or Department representative in areas of special expertise. May have extensive contact with a variety of public and private individuals and groups.
Must have the ability to:
• Operate boats, motor vehicles, lawn mowers, tractors, and ATVs with various attachments.
• Operate and use firearms, cutting torch, welding equipment, fire suppressing equipment, gill nets, seines, water and chemistry equipment.
• Use personal computer and various office equipment.
• Must be able to lift, carry, a minimum of 50 pounds for a distance of 100 yards, and use fencing and building materials, hand tools, and chain saw.
• Walk and jog over rough terrain for extended periods and be able to swim.
• Endure various extremes of outdoor weather conditions.
• Work extended hours weekends and stay overnight out of town.
• Communicate clearly and effectively in public speaking situations and be able to express oneself clearly and concisely in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Aquatic Resource Management or closely related field from an accredited college or university. Please attach a transcript to your application. Your application will not be considered without an attached transcript.
Previous fisheries experience preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques of fish and wildlife management.
• Understanding of basic farming operations and equipment use, and basic supervision principles.
• Skills in exercising good judgment in analyzing situations, and making decisions.
• Collect, evaluate, and present information clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Must be able to work well with others. Must work professionally and courteously with the public and other agencies.
• Must have basic computer skills, including knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets and GIS applications.
• Must be able to effectively write for both scientific reports and popular articles.
• Be proficient in use of computers and various software applications.
The Department will make all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, promotions, terminations, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on grounds of age, race, color, creed or religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, or other factors which cannot be lawfully used as the basis for an employment decision.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.