|Department||Department of Agriculture and Food and Forestry|
|Date Opened||10/29/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/31/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Starting Annual Salary $54,745.00|
|Full or Part Time||
POSITION TITLE: PLANT PROTECTION SPECIALIST
SALARY: $54,745.00 Annually
LOCATION: Central Oklahoma.
MAJOR WORK DUTIES:
o Manage the Nursery Program
o Nursery program will include issuing Phytosanitary certificates, overseeing licensing, reviewing inspections, maintaining compliance agreements, administering weed free certification, trace forward programs, and trapping programs such as with Japanese beetle.
o Manage the Cooperative Agriculture Pest Survey Program (CAPS) grants.
o CAPS work will include submitting work plans, midyear reports, end of year reports, data entry, ordering supplies, providing support to field staff, setting traps and attending meetings.
o Conduct horticulture inspections of nurseries, greenhouses, and garden centers.
o Enforce applicable federal and state horticulture laws and rules.
o Recognize insects and plant diseases to support inspection program and collect samples.
o Provide survey data and technical support for plant protection programs.
o Review information and records of quarantine compliance and issue certificates for shipping.
o Conduct investigations in connection with enforcement.
o Conduct pest survey programs and evaluate detection and survey data.
o Represent the Department dealing with pest problems of regulatory significance.
• Must have knowledge of plant identification, horticulture, entomology, and plant pathology.
• Attendance at some out-of-state meetings will be required.
• This position will require some overnight travel to better utilize time and expenditures since this position does work statewide.
• Applicant must be able to work around pesticides.
• Applicant must be able to work around bees.
• Applicants must be able to work in inclement weather or extreme weather conditions when necessary.
• Applicant must possess a valid Oklahoma driver’s license.
o Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or closely related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.