|Date Opened||10/22/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/19/2019 12:42:00 PM|
|Full or Part Time||
Email resumes to:
The Oklahoma Insurance Department has an opening in the Legal Division for an Attorney II. The vacant position has a salary of $62,150. This position is open until filled.
Under supervision of Deputy General Counsel, performs professional legal work related to Insurance Department’s duties to administer and enforce the Insurance Code, related statutes, and administrative rules.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Interact with licensees and the public regarding consumer complaints against insurance companies and agents; conduct disciplinary proceedings against agents and insurance companies. Enforcement of laws applicable to pharmacy benefit managers, insurance holding companies, bail bondsmen, third party administrators, professional employee organizations, HMOs, captive insurance companies, interpretation and enforcement of statutes and regulations (primarily titles 36, 59 75 and 85A Oklahoma Statutes and Oklahoma Administrative Code, Chapter 365).
• Prepare letters, memoranda of law, briefs, contracts, and other papers or legal documents; prepare administrative pleadings, motions and orders.
• Interview and prepare witnesses, conduct direct and cross-examination, draft findings of fact, conclusions of law and orders.
• Provide advice and counsel to the Commissioner and Department employees on matters related to insurance law and the business of insurance.
• Draft proposed legislation and regulations.
• Speak before various legislative committees, civic and industry groups, including continuing education seminars, regarding the insurance or Department regulatory matters.
• Respond to telephone and written inquiries from licensees and the general public regarding insurance questions.
• Perform other work as required and assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge and application of legal principles; legal research methods; principles of administrative, statutory and constitutional law; trial and administrative procedures; rules of evidence; and dispute resolution techniques.
Skill in performing research; in applying legal principles and authorities to fact situations; in presenting statements of fact, law and argument clearly and logically, in written and oral form; and in drafting documents.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school and active membership in the Oklahoma Bar Association; two years legal experience required for Attorney II. Requirements for Attorney II are based on insurance knowledge, regulatory and industry experience. Individual may be required to pursue NAIC designations as job duties require.
Upon hire, any applicant who is licensed as a producer/agent, adjuster or is otherwise affiliated with any entity that is regulated by the department must surrender their license and terminate any financial or non-financial affiliation with the entity that is regulated by the department. The selected applicant must pass a background check. Individual may be required to pursue NAIC designations as job duties require.
Employees of the Oklahoma Insurance Department are unclassified employees of the state. For benefits offered by the State of Oklahoma to employees of the state, please use this link to access the Office of Human Capital Management benefits page at https://omes.ok.gov/services/employee-benefits
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.