|Department||Department of Education|
|Date Opened||10/10/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/24/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Full or Part Time||
LICENSED SCHOOL COUNSELOR
Office of Student Support, Oliver Hodge Building, Oklahoma City, OK
Under direction, provide leadership to improve school counseling services provided to students across the state, particularly in the areas of social/emotional development and trauma-informed schools practices.
Please Note: This position is funded through a federally awarded grant from the U.S. Department of Justice. The current grant will expire on September 30, 2022. It is the goal of the Oklahoma State Department of Education to apply for additional funding opportunities as they become available.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master's degree in counseling or other related field [official transcript(s) required];
• Possession of a valid school counseling certificate and counseling license; and
• Experience in counseling services both in a school and professional setting preferred.
• Considerable knowledge of the three domains of school counseling;
• Considerable knowledge of guidance and counseling programs for students at all grade levels (PK-12);
• Considerable knowledge of social/emotional development;
• Considerable knowledge of trauma-informed school practices;
• Ability to effectively communicate with State Board of Education members and legislators;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, school officials and the general public; to express clearly and concisely the philosophies, practices, and policies of the Oklahoma State Department of Education, as well as ideas, strategies, and programs relating to guidance, counseling; to judge a situation and adopt an effective course of action; to conduct needs-based in-service in guidance, counseling;
• Knowledge of technology and ability to use it to maximize efficiency and services;
• Willingness and ability to perform necessary job-related travel; and
• Conscientious commitment and willingness to provide courteous, consistent and efficient service through the performance of the prescribed job duties.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
• Serve as a member of the Oklahoma Department of Education’s Crisis Team;
• Collect and report data pertaining to the services provided by the Crisis Team;
• Provide violence threat assessment training to school district personnel;
• Assist with the selection of an agency Strike Team to be deployed to school districts in the event of a crisis;
• Provide leadership for improved school counseling services through sharing of best practices;
• Direct the development of long-range plans, goals and objectives related to social/emotional development, trauma-informed schools’ practices, at-risk student identification and student success;
• Stay informed of new trends, diagnostic and evaluation techniques, curriculum materials, curriculum integration and technology;
• Organize, supervise and encourage state, regional and district improvement in school counseling programs through professional development focused on assuring that all participants achieve increased capacity to assist students; and
• Create and deliver meaningful and articulate presentations to State Board of Education members and legislators;
• Work with existing groups, such as professional associations, Oklahoma Department of Mental Health Services, the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education, to identify problems and help develop initiatives to address these problems;
• Communicate with counseling-related professionals in the state concerning state policies, legislation, and current programs;
• Coordinate conferences for school counselors; and
• Supervise staff as assigned.
General office setting.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this position
O (Occasionally) - Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Position requires this activity from 33%-66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5 hrs/day)
C (Constantly) - Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
10 lbs or less F
11-20 lbs F
21-50 lbs O
51-100 lbs N
Over 100 lbs N
Reach Outward O
Reach Over Shoulder O
Squat or Kneel O
30% travel required with occasional overnight stays.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.