|Department||Department of Education|
|Date Opened||8/5/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/19/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$50,000 - 56,800/year|
|Full or Part Time||
SPDG INSTRUCTIONAL SPECIALIST
Office of Special Education, Oliver Hodge Building, Oklahoma City, OK
Under general supervision and in accordance with federal and state laws, rules and regulations of the State Board of Education, serve as a State Professional Development Grant (SPDG) Instructional Specialist. The primary focus of this position is to provide professional development and technical assistance to schools throughout the state in the areas of Early Literacy and Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS), with an emphasis on struggling learners and students with disabilities.
Please Note: All SPDG positions are funded through the State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG), a federal grant from the U.S. Department of Education. The current grant will expire on September 30, 2022. It is the goal of the Oklahoma State Department of Education, Special Education Services, to apply for the next grant cycle beginning October 1, 2022.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) [transcript(s) required upon hire];
• Successful experience teaching Pre-K to third grade, with experience as a lead reading or instructional coach a plus;
• Possession of a valid Oklahoma elementary education or early childhood and/or special education teaching certificate.
• Considerable knowledge of the core academic content for reading research based best practices for instructional delivery; Knowledge of the 5 components of reading and the Reading Sufficiency Act is required;
• Considerable knowledge of Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS);
• Knowledge of formative, diagnostic, and summative reading assessments, understanding of the timeframe for academic assessments for students throughout the state, and the ability to articulate this information to district constituents;
• This position requires travel to districts throughout the state which would require overnight stays;
• This individual must be a self-starter and work in a cooperative and professional manner with all those in the Oklahoma Department of Education;
• Adequate skills in utilizing technology, especially when performing various projects that require use of computers, laptops, Smart boards, etc; ability to create appropriate forms addressing requirements of projects performed;
• This position requires the skill of presenting to large audiences and knowledge of effective distribution of information to schools through such avenues as creating and implementing video conference workshops, webinars, one-on-one district service trainings, and professional development.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
• Plan, develop, and implement coordinated activities to support state efforts in Response to Intervention (RtI), the Oklahoma Tiered Intervention System of Support (OTISS), and other State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG) initiatives;
• Assist in the collaboration of the SPDG, Special Education Services, and the Office of Instruction in developing and aligning professional development and support to schools in the area of Early Literacy;
• Facilitate the development, implementation, review, and evaluation of coordinated activities to improve academic interventions for all students, including those with disabilities;
• Assist in the implementation of a plan to actively involve parents/guardians in improving their children’s skills in literacy;
• Provide appropriate and timely information to district constituents through the following methods: phone calls, emails, listserv items, memorandums, professionally written letters, and teacher professional development;
• Other duties as assigned.
General office setting.
N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this position
O (Occasionally) - Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) - Position requires this activity from 33%-66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5 hrs/day)
C (Constantly) - Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
10 lbs or less F
11-20 lbs F
21-50 lbs O
51-100 lbs N
Over 100 lbs N
Reach Outward O
Reach Over Shoulder O
Squat or Kneel O
Frequent travel to school districts throughout the state. Some overnight travel may be required.
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application.
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.