|Department||Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training|
|Date Opened||5/7/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||5/24/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$33,504 - $36,854/year|
|Full or Part Time||
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Attention: Shelly Lowrance
2401 Egypt Road, Ada, OK 74820
or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes must be received by 5:00 PM, May 24, 2019
JOB TITLE: Legal Secretary I or II
Under general supervision, processes private security, bail enforcer, and peace officer actions; assists in presenting cases at hearings and handles appeal proceedings concerning disciplinary actions; Conducts legal research and other related tasks as assigned by General Counsel, Assistant Director or Executive Director; and assists representatives of CLEET at various board and committee meetings which may require some travel.
Description of Tasks:
The functions of this position vary, but may include any of the following:
• Provides secretarial and administrative support for General Counsel; composes and prepares various legal documents and forms; takes and transcribes dictation of confidential, technical, or legal material requiring high degree of accuracy; records and transcribes proceedings of meetings and conferences.
• Independently researches, locates and assembles legal materials for working files used in docketing cases or information and data for administrative board or commission consideration and action; gathers agency data and documents to support various pleadings filed in different courts; develops and maintains files on research sources.
• Reviews routine petitions regarding administrative appeals and prepares appropriate draft pleadings.
• Arranges for special conferences and meetings; assists in maintaining General Counsel’s calendar, advising of commitments.
• Schedules depositions, prepares exhibits for court cases and administrative law judge hearings; compiles reports or other materials for use by General Counsel or other members of the CLEET management team.
• Maintains or supervises the maintenance of confidential legal files, evidence and hard copy or electronic records.
• Assists General Counsel in ensuring that deadlines are met for filing various court actions; files orders, judgments, pleadings, briefs and other documents on behalf of CLEET.
• Works collaboratively with other members of CLEET to accomplish daily activities associated with legal matters including violations of State Statutes and the Oklahoma Administrative Code.
• Operates a variety of modern office equipment; screens phone calls and receives visitors; provides information or refers to appropriate official; opens, reviews and distributes legal mail; disposes of routine matters; prepares legal correspondence for appropriate signatory.
• Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel, Assistant Director or Executive Director of CLEET.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
Includes knowledge of guidelines related to the preparation and filing of various legal documents and forms; of business communications; of trial and court procedures; of law office practices; of legal terms and definitions; of business English and office procedures; of business arithmetic; of training principles and practices; and of public relations. Ability is required to establish effective working relationships with others; to type accurately from plain copy at a rate of fifty words per minute; to prepare complex legal documents and forms; to deal with the public; to handle confidential work with tact and discretion; to exercise judgment in interpreting and applying rules or policy; to follow oral and written instructions; to operate standard office equipment; and to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and utilize advanced computer skills which enable the individual to create, update and revise databases used to track the status and deadlines associated with legal files and other CLEET records.
Education and Experience:
Minimum education is a High School Diploma and three years of experience performing a variety of complex clerical/typing work and one year of experience as a paralegal or equivalent work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience including two years of experience as an administrative secretary/assistant or paralegal. College courses with an emphasis in legal studies and/or formal paralegal training is highly desired.
Job may require climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, periods of standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, and hearing. May be required to lift objects weighing up to or more than 50 pounds. Possession of a valid Oklahoma driver license is required for the position.
CLEET is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Veteran's Preference Points apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.