INDUSTRIAL MACHINE REPAIR MECHANIC 2
|2/8/2024 10:45:00 AM
|3/1/2024 11:59:00 PM
The Industrial Machine Repair Mechanic 2 performs
preventative maintenance and basic repairs to MWW equipment and facilities,
operates equipment to perform snow and ice control, and performs routine duties
at outlying booster stations. The incumbent
will assist with complex repairs, equipment installation and replacement and
troubleshooting electrical, HVAC and automation systems and equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance on small engine equipment, such as snow blowers, lawn mowers, chainsaws, generators, auxiliary lights, air compressors and weed trimmers.
- Set up and break down coagulation equipment and perform flushing of coagulators.
- Perform cleaning of fountains and surrounding area.
- Perform preventative greasing of equipment with proper grease type.
- Obtain and process oil samples for pumps.
Facilities and Machine Repair
- Repair minor sample lines near instrumentation points, pipe up to 1”, shelves, brackets, guards, bushings and safety equipment.
- Repair or replace ball valves and gate valves up to 1”.
- Perform Arc (Stick) welding to repair facilities and equipment.
- Perform minor adjustment of gland packing.
- Perform routine tasks at booster stations.
Maintenance and Repair Assistance
- Assist with priming pumps and oil changes.
- Support preventative maintenance of centrifugal pumps, fence operators and air compressors.
- Assist with the repair of chemical pumps, threaded pipes and fittings, building appurtenances, storage facilities and various drive train equipment.
- Assist with set up and break down of fountains.
- Support crew leaders in gathering information about equipment condition trends.
- Assist Steamfitters in the construction and repair of piping systems.
- Assist Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Steamfitters with cleaning of equipment and filter/belt changes.
- Support Automation and Electrical and Instrumentation personnel with basic troubleshooting of the control system.
- Assist Plants Operations with the installation and removal of water gates.
- Assist with obtaining vibration and runout readings on equipment.
- Assist with the cleaning and repair of ozone contactors.
- Perform Confined Space Attendant duties using multi-gas detection meters and radios.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to perform duties related to custodial work and snow removal.
- Must be able to climb ladders, enter confined spaces and wear confined space safety equipment.
- Must be able to lift and handle at least 50 pounds of equipment or material and more weight with assistance.
- Must be able to work at heights up to 100 feet, in confined spaces, in close proximity to hazardous chemicals, in all weather conditions and with high noise levels.
- Must be able to wear appropriate safety equipment including safety shoes, glasses, and hearing protection.
- Must be able to work mandatory overtime and respond to emergency call-outs when needed.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Must possess good manual dexterity.
The pre-employment medical requirements for this position
- Physical lift test
- Three years of experience performing industrial machine repair, maintenance, adjustment, and installation duties closely related to the essential functions listed above.
- Ability to obtain a Forklift and Skid Steer Loader Operator Certification within the probationary period and maintain throughout employment.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
- Journey level Machine Repairperson certification.
- Pump repair experience (250gpm or larger).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Ability to perform precision repairs on light-duty equipment.
- High degree of mechanical aptitude and skill in machine repair.
- Skill in using drill presses, bench grinders, and hand and power tools common to the trade.
- Ability to understand water treatment plant chemical feed systems, piping and appurtenances.
- Ability to understand the preventative maintenance processes for industrial pumps.
- Ability to use the correct methods to apply torque according to specifications.
- Ability to operate a truck and 30’ trailer to transport equipment and materials.
- Ability to operate a forklift to move and store materials.
- Ability to operate equipment and install/remove vehicle attachments for snow and ice control.
- Ability to read, diagnose and troubleshoot from service/technical manuals, blueprints, plans, specifications and other work-related documents.
- Ability to utilize applicable computer hardware and software like the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) programs.
Communication and Interpersonal
- Willingness and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
Judgment and Responsibility
- Knowledge of and ability to apply safety principles and practices as they apply to all components of this job.
- Honesty and the ability to use City resources responsibly.
The current salary range (PG 7EN) is $60,147-$76,467 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee
residents is $61,952-$78,761 annually. Appointment above the minimum is
possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit
program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of
Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will
consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of education, experience
and/or responses to supplemental questions; a written or performance test, a
structured interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee
Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to
structured interviews and performance examinations. Structured interviews may
include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be
determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The selection process will be held as soon as practical after the application deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the selection process components. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative selection process dates or times. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is
an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.