EQUIPMENT AND TOOL MECHANIC 3
|1/19/2024 2:30:00 PM
|3/1/2024 11:59:00 PM
DPW-Forestry manages 120 miles of boulevards, approximately 195,000 urban trees, greenhouse and nursery operations, and other City green spaces. This position is key to the support of the maintenance and beautification of Milwaukee’s urban landscape.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce
that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If
you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants,
please consider the following opportunity.
The Forestry Equipment and Tool Mechanic 3 repairs and
maintains a large fleet of outdoor power equipment used for landscape and tree
POWER EQUIPMENT REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE
- Diagnose and make minor and major repairs to outdoor power equipment and specialty vehicles such as skid loaders, chippers, mowers, and tractors; transmission and power-train components; electrical, fuel and ignition systems; hydraulic systems; spray pumps and apparatus; and tires and trailers.
- Schedule and perform preventive maintenance, including fluid changes, lubrication, mower blade sharpening and replacement, tune-ups, multi-point inspections, and wear component replacement, to maximize equipment service life and minimize equipment breakdown and downtime.
- Perform repairs that require heating, cutting with an oxygen-acetylene torch, welding and light carpentry work to fabricate frame and body components and make repairs to equipment, framing, vehicles, and trailers.
- Operate various pieces of machinery and hand power tools to complete repairs; fabricate materials associated with the maintenance and repair of Forestry outdoor power equipment.
- Support Forestry field operations by responding to service calls, performing field diagnostic and light repairs, transporting equipment, and performing off-site maintenance in Forestry districts.
- Maintain a safe and orderly personal workspace and shop environment by performing general shop clean-up and conducting safety and cleanliness inspections.
- Maintain inventory and order and store incidental parts.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are
interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the
hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of
1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA)
Conditions of Employment
The Forestry Equipment Mechanic must be able to do the
- Provide a set of standard industry hand tools.
- Use standard industry hand tools to perform the job in a safe and efficient manner.
- Lift up to 20 pounds consistently and up to 50 pounds frequently; exert force to move objects weighing up to 100 pounds with assistance occasionally.
- As needed, work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Tolerate various environmental conditions indoors and out (e.g., noise, vibration, dirt, and pollen).
- Perform physical activities in work environments that require walking and standing, crawling, crouching, stooping, kneeling, reaching, balancing, pushing, and pulling.
- Wear appropriate safety and personal protective equipment (PPE), including a respirator.
- Work beyond assigned shifts to respond to various emergencies, such as snow and ice operations; the Forestry Equipment Mechanic may be required to work at any time during the day or night, any day of the week.
- Two years of experience repairing and overhauling outdoor power equipment and specialty vehicles used in the landscape and tree care industry.
- Valid driver's license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
- A good driving record at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of training, experience, and
job-related certifications may also be considered.
- Welding experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of current procedures, processes, methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in outdoor power equipment repairs and maintenance and repair facilities.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures used in making mechanical repairs.
- Knowledge of the administrative and housekeeping duties associated with operating and maintaining a repair facility.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge and deductive reasoning to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair equipment quickly, accurately, and safely.
- Ability to receive and apply unique technical information to the repair of specialty pieces of equipment.
- Ability to use various equipment types in diagnostic and preparation steps for repairs such as electrical current meters, electronic and mechanical diagnostic equipment, gauges, hones, bench and portable grinders, taps, boring machines, micrometers, pneumatic and hand power tools, and specialty tools and machinery common to small engine/equipment repairs.
- Knowledge of and ability to diagnose and troubleshoot 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines, fuel delivery systems, ignition systems, electrical systems, and wiring.
- Ability to operate the tools and equipment required to maintain and repair equipment.
- Ability to cut and weld metals using oxyacetylene or arc welding equipment.
- Ability to understand technical manuals and information required to perform maintenance and repair.
- Ability to work cooperatively with coworkers, representatives of other departments, and the public, including people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to maintain accurate equipment maintenance records.
- Honesty, integrity, and stewardship of departmental resources.
The current starting salary (Pay Range 7HN) is $58,215 - $70,417 annually, and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $59,961 - $72,529 annually. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit
program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of
Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of education, experience and/or responses to supplemental questions; a written or performance test, a structured interview or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to structured interviews and performance examinations. Structured interviews may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The selection process will be
held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of
applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior
notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been
met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the
selection process components. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of
Milwaukee will not provide alternative selection process dates or times. The
applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process
at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is
an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.