ENGINEERING DRAFTING TECHNICIAN IV
|DPW - INFRASTRUCTURE
|10/20/2023 11:00:00 AM
|11/27/2023 11:59:00 PM
of the Electrical Engineer III / Engineering Tech VI, the Engineering Drafting Technician IV conducts investigations,
performs planning, designs and layouts. They also estimate costs in conjunction with
various types of permit review, utility improvements and the City Underground
Conduit (CUC) capital improvement program.
CUC-RELATED PERMIT REVIEW, PLANNING, AND DESIGN
- Review permit requests for their impact on City street lighting and CUC
facilities. Compile and provide information regarding current lighting and CUC
facilities, work required to eliminate conflicts, and deposits necessary for
street lighting and CUC work to be completed by City forces to contractors,
architects, public utilities, and other City, County, and State governmental
- Coordinate the protection, adjustment, or relocation of street lighting
and CUC facilities in conjunction with City projects or to accommodate other
public or private construction projects.
- Perform planning, drafting, field investigation, feasibility studies, data gathering, final site layout, plan preparation, cost estimates, work orders, timetables, and material lists in conjunction with street lighting and CUC capital improvement projects. Maintain records and perform all planning and design work related to the installation, operation, maintenance, or removal of City alley lighting and CUC facilities.
- Receive and investigate complaints and requests for additional lighting and CUC facilities from alderpersons and City residents.
Conditions of Employment
- The Engineering Drafting Technician IV performs light physical
work, including kneeling, crouching, reaching, pushing, pulling, performing
repetitive motions, and lifting and moving objects weighing up to 10 pounds
- Associate Degree in civil engineering from an
accredited college or university AND two years
of experience in civil engineering, computer-aided drafting (CAD),
computer-aided design and drafting (CADD), surveying, and/or mapping performing
duties similar to the essential functions listed above, OR four years of experience as
- . Valid driver’s license at the time of appointment and throughout employment.
Experience in conduit installation and roadway construction, and
knowledge of utility clearance.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of drafting terminology and techniques related to construction engineering.
- Knowledge of MicroStation as well as standard computer applications, including Microsoft Office.
- Skill in using geographic information systems
- Knowledge of construction practices and the City's
- Ability to prepare drawings for various types of
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents
as well as City of Milwaukee and departmental regulations, policies, and
- Ability to read City maps and understand legal
- Skill in updating and maintaining engineering
records, engineering databases, and plat pages.
- Ability to train new drafting technicians on various types of drafting work.
Communication and Interpersonal
- Customer service skills: ability to use tact and
- Verbal communication skills: ability to speak clearly and concisely and explain technical concepts to
- Written communication skills, including the ability
to write clear business correspondence and reports.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships
with others, including coworkers, managers, representatives of outside
agencies, and the public.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively plan work so as to meet varying
- Attention to detail and thorough in completing work
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to represent the department honestly and
City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the
Defined Benefit Pension Plan
457 Deferred Compensation Plan
Health and Dental Insurance
Paid Parental Leave
Comprehensive Wellness Program
Onsite Clinic Services
Onsite Employee Assistance Program
Alternative Work Schedules
Long Term Disability Insurance
Group Life Insurance
12 Paid Holidays
Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
Flexible Spending Arrangement
Commuter Value Pass
will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of education, experience and/or responses to supplemental questions; a written or performance test, a structured interview or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to structured interviews and performance examinations. Structured interviews may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
- The selection process
will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of
applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior
notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been
met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the
selection process components. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of
Milwaukee will not provide alternative selection process dates or times. The
applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process
at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
The Department of Employee Relations is in City Hall, 200 E
Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.