PROPERTY ASSESSMENT TECHNICIAN I
|Requesting Department||ASSESSOR'S OFFICE|
|Open Date||5/5/2023 09:20:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||5/26/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed historic charm with a breathtaking art museum, top-flight cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Property Assessment Technician I provides field and office support to property appraisal and assessment staff.
The Property Assessment Technician I position an underfill for the Property Assessment Technician II position; advancement is based upon performance and attainment of job-related skills.
Field and Office Support
- Review new permits, property sketches and property photos to identify conditions that trigger changes in values or descriptions.
- Manage and cleanse property data in the Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal (CAMA) system by updating and creating records to reflect current status, recent changes or corrections.
- Flag parcels within the CAMA system so appraisers know which properties require attention.
- Inspect properties to confirm, enhance or correct data for valuation.
- Convert hand drawn sketches into digital sketches within the CAMA system.
- Prepare and maintain computer-generated word-processing forms, spreadsheets and associated data.
- Assist appraisers and administrative staff with preparing mailings for sales and notices for interior inspections.
- Provide prompt, courteous, and customer-focused service and information to departmental employees, the public, other city departments, and other agencies.
- Assist with inquiries from property owners in person, over the phone, and by e-mail.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to physically see details of properties during inspections.
- Must be able to physically access field locations in order to observe and record physical property characteristics relevant to assessment; this includes ascending and descending stairs and walking on uneven surfaces.
- Must be able to travel to work locations throughout the City.
- Must be able to lift and move up to 10 pounds unassisted on occasion.
- Eighteen years of age at time of application period close, Friday, May 26, 2023.
- One year of field and/or office support experience performing duties related to the essential functions listed above.
- Certification as an Assessment Technician within 90 days of appointment and throughout employment. For more information on the Assessment Technician certification please see this LINK: https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/Training/assessor-certification.aspx
- Valid driver’s license and availability of a properly insured personal vehicle for use on the job required at time of appointment and throughout employment. Mileage reimbursement is provided.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Provide interpretation in Spanish, Hmong, or another language.
- Certification by the State of Wisconsin at the Property Assessment Technician level.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Ability to read and understand work-related documents.
- Ability to assist in assembling and analyzing data and maintaining records.
- Ability to make related mathematical calculations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Ability to learn the materials and methods involved in the construction and repair of houses and buildings.
- Ability to create and maintain accurate documentation, with attention given to detail.
- Knowledge of computer applications and software such as Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to use equipment such as a scanner, copier, digital camera, and phone.
- Ability to enter, edit and retrieve data accurately.
Communication, Interpersonal and Customer Focus
- Ability to accurately communicate information to residents, co-workers, and other interested parties.
- Written communication skills to develop professional correspondences and reports.
- Knowledge of proper English writing mechanics and the ability to proofread documents and reports.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Skill in tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Judgment and Responsibility
- Planning and organizing skills to accomplish goals, meet objectives and complete work assignments in a timely manner.
- Judgment and decision-making skills.
- Problem-solving and problem recognition skills.
- Ability to work effectively under stress.
- Ability to work under statutory and office deadlines.
Property Assessment Technician I
The current salary range (Pay Range 3FN) is $40,064-$49,076 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $41,266-$50,549 annually. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefits program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit: https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of education, experience and/or responses to supplemental questions; a written or performance test, a structured interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to structured interviews and performance examinations. Structured interviews may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The selection process will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the selection process components. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative selection process dates or times. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting https://www.jobapscloud.com/MIL/.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO Code = 207
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.