|DPW - INFRASTRUCTURE
|1/9/2023 1:30:00 PM
|2/3/2023 11:59:00 PM
The DPW-Infrastructure engineering and construction staff members provide structural maintenance and inspection services throughout the City of Milwaukee, including the design, project management, inspection and evaluation of 180 bridge structures, 200 buildings, over 1,400 miles of paved streets and over 2,400 miles of sewers.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce
that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If
you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants,
please consider this opportunity.
Engineering Interns may work during the summer or year-round.
Assist engineers, architects, engineering technicians,
public works inspectors and bridges and buildings inspectors with various
engineering and construction inspection tasks.
- Assist engineers with record keeping, design plans, specifications and field inspections.
- Assist engineering technicians with field work and record keeping.
- Assist DPW inspectors with project inspections and record keeping.
- Input data in order to maintain the City of Milwaukee Road Life files.
- Assist in the distribution of notices to property owners around construction sites.
- Assist engineers with sewer and stormwater management calculations.
- Assist field technicians with outfall testing, smoke and dye testing and sanitary flow monitoring work.
- Conduct traffic counts and/or complete streets activities.
- Assist with the collection of traffic data, including signing and marking.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are
interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the
hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of
1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA)
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s Covid-19 Vaccination Policy here.
- Must be able to work outdoors in variable weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds of equipment or materials.
- Current enrollment as a sophomore or higher in an accredited college or university in pre-civil engineering, architecture, construction management, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, public works inspection, or a closely related program.
- Valid driver’s license at the time of appointment and throughout employment.
NOTICE: Please do not attach your academic transcripts
to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’
education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any
- Experience using ArcGIS, MicroStation and Microsoft Office software.
- Knowledge of methods used in roadway and underground utilities construction.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of engineering analysis and design methods.
- Proficient with word processing and spreadsheet software as well as the Internet.
- Ability to use measurement tools related to surveying and checking transfer of line and grade, including tape measures, measuring wheels, string lines, and levels.
- Ability to read and interpret work-related documents.
Customer Service and Communication
- Written communication skills to produce correspondence and reports.
- Verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with co-workers, management and the public.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with coworkers and residents whose backgrounds may differ from one's own.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Judgement and Professionalism
- Analytical, problem-solving, and data interpretation skills.
- Ability to follow through on assignments and long-term projects.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and a strong sense of integrity.
- Ability to organize assignments and manage time to complete tasks based on departmental deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated proofreading skills.
- Professional, dependable, flexible, and adaptable.
- Detail and quality-oriented.
The current wage rate (PR 9PN) is $18.69 per hour and the
resident incentive wage rate for City of Milwaukee residents is $19.25 per
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon
as practical after the application deadline listed above. Receipt of
applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior
notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City
have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and
place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City
of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The
applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process
at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- Applications and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations, call 414.286.3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
“The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and
is an equal opportunity employer.”