PLAN EXAMINER II & PLAN EXAMINER III
|Requesting Department||DEPT OF NEIGHBORHOOD SRVCS|
|Open Date||1/9/2023 2:30:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed charm with a breathtaking art museum, top-flight cultural attractions, vibrant neighborhoods, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
NOTE: On a weekly basis, applications received will be reviewed and the names of qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring department for immediate further consideration.
Pursuant to federal, state and local regulations, the Plan Examiner II and the Plan Examiner III review plans, specifications, and other data for the construction of new structures and buildings and proposed alterations, additions, and repairs to existing structures and buildings and related mechanical systems.
The position will be filled at the level of Plan Examiner II (PG 2GN) or Plan Examiner III (PG 2JN) depending upon the qualifications of the candidate and the needs of the Department of Neighborhood Services. Eligible candidates who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the highest-level eligible list for which they qualify.
- Pursuant to regulatory agency requirements, examine and approve plans for the installation of the architectural and related mechanical and life safety systems.
- Determine compliance of plans with the Milwaukee Zoning Ordinance.
- Prepare, plan and review letters and permits, reflecting plan approval conditions.
- Coordinate plan review assignments and respond to inquiries regarding assignments; verify that established benchmarks are being met and work with management to identify, develop and implement training strategies to improve the plan review process.
- Provide code interpretation for internal and external customers; assist in writing code revisions.
- Evaluate applications for appeal for variances to State and City codes.
- Serve walk-in and phone customers seeking information and assistance.
- Assist other Plan Examiners, Development Center Staff, and construction inspectors.
- Serve as a case manager for complex development projects, including recommending improvements, keeping program records, and providing preliminary review during project development.
- Review large and complex development proposals and provide coordination of all phases of review, including pre-submittal meetings, preliminary review services, variance requests, coordination with additional regulatory governmental agencies and issuance of final approvals and permit.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy here.
· Must be able to perform light physical work, including lifting and moving objects weighing up to 10 lbs.
· Must comply with the departmental dress code.
· Must be able to work in an office environment daily.
1. Both levels: Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, urban planning, building construction or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
2. Plan Examiner II: Two years of professional experience in building construction, building design, inspection, architecture, or a comparable field.
Plan Examiner III: Three years of professional experience in building construction, building design, inspection, architecture, or a comparable field.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
3. Certification with the State of Wisconsin Department of
Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) as a Commercial Building Inspector, UDC
Construction Inspector, and UDC HVAC Inspector within one year of appointment and
NOTICE: Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers.
- Registration with the State of Wisconsin as a professional architect or engineer.
- Current certification as a commercial building code inspector, a building construction inspector, and HVAC inspector of 1- and 2-family dwellings.
- Familiarity with the City of Milwaukee zoning ordinance (MCO Ch. 295).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of architecture and building construction principles, methodology, and materials.
- Knowledge of zoning administration and code enforcement.
- Ability to read and interpret work-related documents such as laws, regulations, and building and zoning codes. Ability to interpret technical plans, blueprints, drawings, models, and maps.
- Knowledge of the mathematics involved in building design and construction, including measurement, geometry, algebra, and trigonometry.
- Ability to use job-specific computer applications such as the Land Management System (LMS) and standard programs such as spreadsheet, database, and word processing.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL
- Written communication skills to compose clear and error-free correspondence and reports.
- Verbal communication and training skills to clearly convey information to staff and others.
- Customer service knowledge and skills; ability to serve customers in a patient and friendly manner.
- Ability to build effective relationships with staff and elected officials, contractors, representatives of various governmental agencies, and the public.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
JUDGMENT AND PLANNING
- Critical thinking skills to be able to resolve complex issues daily.
- Planning and time management skills to be able to meet frequent deadlines.
- Organizational skills and the ability to maintain accurate and detailed records.
- Ability to serve in a lead worker capacity to fairly and efficiently coordinate case management, assignments, and schedules.
- Commitment to serving the public with the utmost honesty and professionalism.
Plan Examiner II (Pay Range 2GN):
The current salary range (2GN) is $74,974 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $77,223.
Plan Examiner III (PG 2JN):
The current salary range (Pay Range 2JN) is $85,502-$90,796 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $88,067-$93,520.
Appointment above the minimums is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
· Defined Benefit Pension Plan
· 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
· Health and Dental Insurance
· Paid Parental Leave
· Comprehensive Wellness Program
· Onsite Clinic Services
· Onsite Employee Assistance Program
· Alternative Work Schedules
· Long Term Disability Insurance
· Group Life Insurance
· Tuition Benefits
· Paid Vacation
· 12 Paid Holidays
· Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
· Flexible Spending Arrangement
· Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of education, experience and/or responses to supplemental questions; a written or performance test, a structured interview or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to structured interviews and performance examinations. Structured interviews may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be accepted and the selection process will be held during 2023 as often as required to meet the needs of the City. Qualified applicants will be notified by email of the date, time and place of the selection process components.
Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative selection process dates or times. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
The names of successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list in a rank determined by the final score without reference to the date of the selection process. The names of candidates who pass all phases of the selection process may remain on an eligible list resulting from a continuous examination for up to six months. Candidates may apply for and participate in the selection process for this position only once every six months.
· APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
· If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
· The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202
EEO 207The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|