WATER PLANT STEAMFITTER
|Open Date||2/7/2023 11:20:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/7/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed historic charm with a breathtaking art museum, top-flight cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The Water Plant Steamfitter installs and repairs water mains, piping systems and valves, gauges, controls, and regulators in water treatment plants, pumping stations and booster stations.
Steam fitting and Plumbing
- Perform repair, preventive maintenance and new installation of various sizes and types of piping throughout the water treatment plants, pumping stations and booster stations.
- Conduct welding, soldering, pipe sweating and compression assembly of piping systems conveying air, gas, water, steam, chemical, refrigeration, cryogenic and other fluids and gases.
- Perform visual and physical checks of valves, gauges, controls, regulators and related assemblies.
- Evaluate piping systems for functionality, safety and improvements.
- Plan and carry out projects, including researching materials and parts, planning job staging, securing equipment, tools, and materials, and coordinating work with others.
- Perform Milwaukee Water Works’ (MWW) cross-connection control inspection and testing of backflow prevention systems.
- Record and document maintenance and repair activities in the MWW computerized maintenance management system.
Shop Maintenance and Repair
- Perform custodial tasks, snow removal and minor repairs to the buildings, grounds, and equipment.
- Maintain shop equipment and tools in good order.
- Order stock materials, and maintain electronic inventory.
Technical Development and Safety
- Safely drive and operate departmental vehicles and equipment in order to navigate in and out of shop space and to commute to field locations to conduct repairs.
- Participate in technical development activities to keep current with industry relevant practices and standards in welding and fabricating.
- Adhere to all federal, state, departmental, and steam fitting and/or plumbing safety laws, rules, practices, and procedures.
- Execute safe work practices and promote workplace safety.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Subject to mandatory call-in for emergency duty during non-standard business hours.
- Must be able to perform physical activities in the work environment that require agility including ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps or poles, walking and standing, crawling, crouching, stooping, kneeling, reaching, balancing, pushing and pulling.
- Must be able to work at heights in excess of 100 feet.
- Must be able to perform heavy physical work, exerting up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally and lifting and moving objects weighing 50 lbs. frequently.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged exposure to variable and extreme weather conditions.
- Must be able to tolerate vibration and noise.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces.
- Must be able to work in proximity to moving mechanical parts.
- Must be able to hand tools and welding equipment related to the steam fitting and plumbing profession.
- Must be able to learn how to safely and effectively learn to use snow removal equipment such as shovels, snow blower, snowplow and bobcat.
- Must wear and utilize personal protective equipment (PPE) standard to steam fitting, including the use of common and specialized safety equipment (i.e., shoes, gloves, glasses, hearing protection, hard hat, welding jacket, welding hood, harness, protective suits and the use of a respirator), as required.
- Four years of experience in steamfitting and plumbing, performing duties related to the essential functions listed above.
- Valid driver’s license at time of application and throughout employment.
- Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) Cross Connection Control Tester certification within six months of appointment and throughout employment.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) required Lift-Truck Operator certification within six months of appointment and throughout employment. Note: Training provided in-house by DPW Driving Instructors.
- Journey level certification in steam fitting or plumbing.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of steamfitting, plumbing, pipe sweating, repair and maintenance.
- Knowledge of and ability to use job-related steamfitter tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of the operation of cranes and hoists, proper rigging and lifting techniques and safe handling of loads.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply safety principles and practices as they apply to all components of this job.
- Knowledge of mathematics, including decimals, fractions, geometry, and measurement.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills to diagnose problems and make repairs.
- Ability to perform job related, open set-up welding, brazing and soldering.
- Ability to learn to safely and effectively learn to use shovels, snow blower, snowplow and bobcat.
- Ability to learn and use job-related computer programs.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret manuals, policies, procedures, instructions, blueprints and shop drawings.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to accomplish work within deadlines.
- Ability to maintain accurate work records.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Honesty and ability to safeguard all departmental property.
- Ability to display tact and diplomacy with co-workers and the public.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and residents whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
The current salary range (PR 7RN) is annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is .
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Service
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
Applications will be accepted and interviews held during 2023 as often as required to meet the needs of the City. Qualified applicants will be notified by email of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee. Employment may be possible immediately following the examination if positions are vacant at that time. The names of successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list in a rank determined by the final grade without reference to the date of the examination. The names of candidates who pass all phases of the selection process may remain on an eligible list resulting from a continuous examination for up to six months.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, www.jobapscloud.com/MIL
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.