PARKING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
|Open Date||11/7/2022 2:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/28/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
The Parking Enforcement Officer enforces all parking and abandoned vehicle regulations, while providing accurate, parking-related information and customer service to the public.
PARKING ENFORCEMENT AND PATROL
- Enforce parking regulations through the identification of illegally parked and abandoned vehicles; provide customer coaching, issue citations, relocate vehicles and initiate towing operations.
- Patrol assigned areas by vehicle or on foot to ensure compliance with existing parking ordinances; create patrol strategies of assigned areas to maximize safety and efficiency using the Global Positioning System or other locational systems.
- Enter and retrieve data pertaining to vehicle registration, identification, location and status using hand-held computer, cellular phone and related applications, License Plate Recognition System (LPR), two-way radio, and/or laptop.
- Create and maintain complete and accurate records, including digital and hand-written notes and photographs, for all citations, warnings and vehicle tows and relocations.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PARKING RELATED CONTROL
- Provide accurate and efficient customer service related to customer and aldermanic parking complaints.
- Provide information to the public regarding parking regulations and facilities, and the location of streets, buildings and points of interest.
- Report parking and other violations to the Milwaukee Police Department (MPD) and assist in the investigation of abandoned vehicles and the recovery of stolen vehicles.
- Respond to subpoenas and testify in court relative to contested traffic citations.
- Perform special parking event service operations such as meter hooding and signage placement; report meter defects or malfunctions.
- Provide traffic control at crash or incident scenes and provide written incident reports.
- Observe and report hazardous conditions, such as missing or broken traffic signals or signs and street markings that need to be repainted.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy here.
- Must be available to work any shift, including weekends and holidays and/or rotating shifts when needed.
- Must be able to work outdoors from an assigned vehicle or foot patrol in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to lift and move objects weighing 50 pounds or more occasionally, up to 20 pounds frequently, and up to 10 pounds consistently.
- Six months of full-time work experience performing front-line customer service and/or data entry in a setting that serves the public.
- Valid driver’s license at the time of application, throughout the selection process and throughout employment.
- Good driving record at time of application, throughout the selection process and throughout employment. Driving record will be checked during the selection process, prior to the job offer, and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers.
- Associate’s degree in criminal justice or a closely related field from an accredited college or technical college.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Computer keyboarding and texting skills.
- Ability to learn and use departmental mobile and digital equipment and software applications to accurately and efficiently enter data and create reports.
- Ability to read and interpret work related document and policies.
- Ability to pay special attention to detail.
- Ability to interpret and enforce parking rules and regulations.
- Ability to work independently and diligently.
- Ability to recognize city streets, names, locations, and boundaries.
- Ability to drive a vehicle safely.
- Ability to monitor traffic to ensure safe conditions while working.
- Ability to solve job-related problems independently.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports.
- Ability to recognize and identify makes and models of vehicles.
COMMUNICATION, CUSTOMER SERVICE AND INTERPERSONAL
- Customer service skills, including the ability to represent the City of Milwaukee positively and to interact with the public in a courteous, tactful, and concerned manner.
- Ability to remain calm when working in stressful and often emotionally charged situations.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one's own.
- Ability to communicate ideas verbally in an effective manner so others can understand.
- Ability to listen and understand information and ideas through spoken words.
- Ability to communicate ideas and information in writing so others will understand.
The current starting salary (5CN) is $34,749 annually/$16.71 hourly and the City of Milwaukee resident incentive salary is $35,791 annually/$17.21 hourly.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit: milwaukee.gov/Benefits
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral or performance tests; or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to the oral examination. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
THIS IS A CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT. Applications will be accepted and interviews held during 2022 as often as required to meet the needs of the City. Qualified applicants will be notified by email of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee. Employment may be possible immediately following the examination if positions are vacant at that time. The names of successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list in a rank determined by the final grade without reference to the date of the examination. The names of candidates who pass all phases of the selection process may remain on an eligible list resulting from a continuous examination for up to six months.
APPLICATIONS and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 501
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.