CIVIL ENGINEER III
|Open Date||11/11/2022 12:15:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/2/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Civil Engineer III assists the Project Programming Engineer with project programming, estimating and special assessments related to transportation infrastructure.
- Prepare and track council resolutions, public hearings and notifications, aldermanic survey letters and two citizen boards.
- Prepare and track special assessments, certificates, billings, right-of-way vacations, fiscal notes, annual reports, and petitions and waivers.
- Collect and manage data pertaining to hollow walks within the City’s various rights of way.
- Support the Deferred Assessment Board as necessary.
Strategy and planning
- Review, determine, and recommend special assessment rates.
- Prepare bills for projects.
- Ensure that compliance with state statues is met.
- Represent the department at public hearings and neighborhood meetings.
- Review private development plans relative to their impact on adjacent roadways, underground vaults and hollow walks.
- Coordinate collection and analysis of data relative to the City’s pavement management program, using Road Matrix™ software; use data to review and make recommendations on future City-wide paving programs.
- Conduct special studies and recommend policy changes.
- Supervise preparation of quantities for estimates and certificates of street, alley and new underground projects.
- Oversee the maintenance for files pertaining to paving plans, paving estimates, paving grades, sidewalk widths, survey bench marks, and ordinance submittal to the Common Council.
- Mentor and train Engineering Technicians in the Transportation Infrastructure Section.
- Provide quality assurance and quality control review for project plans and reports.
- Supervise review of various transit and transportation proposals and projects.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s Covid-19 Vaccination Policy here.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited school of engineering.
- Two years of full-time professional civil engineering experience performing project design, project delivery, and/or paving asset management.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
NOTICE: Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, principles, materials, and methods involved in the repair or construction of roads.
- Skill in the use of computer software such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Professional.
- Ability to prepare engineering plans using design software and drawing tools such as AutoCAD and MicroStation.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints and aerial photography.
- Knowledge of project management principles.
Communication and Interpersonal
- Skill in providing customer service to internal and external customers.
- Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary staff, the public, public officials, and other agencies.
- Ability to work courteously, cooperatively, and effectively with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Written communication skills, including the ability to prepare reports that are accurate and free of grammatical and punctuation errors.
- Verbal communication skills to positively represent the department in multiple formats.
Judgment and Professionalism
- Ability to anticipate and recognize problems and issues before they occur, collect information and formulate and efficiently implement appropriate action.
- Analytical and reasoning skills.
- Skill in making effective decisions.
- Ability to perform work duties with professionalism, honesty, and integrity.
- Ability to efficiently plan and coordinate work.
- Skill in decision-making, including assessing the costs and benefits of potential actions.
- Ability to work under tight time constraints.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Ability to oversee and lead personnel involved in short-term and long-term projects.
- Ability to foster an environment of inclusion wherein all employees are treated respectfully, are valued for their strengths and feel that they can safely express themselves.
- Ability to provide guidance and training for employees.
The current starting salary range (PR 2IN) is $72,749 - $83,481 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $74,932 - $85,986. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
Employees who possess a Professional Engineering License will be paid an additional 3%.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
Applications and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|