WATER DISTRIBUTION REPAIR WORKER I
|Open Date||9/8/2022 08:55:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/14/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
*Only applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job will be invited to participate in the selection process.
Water Distribution Repair and Maintenance
- Repair, maintain, and install water mains, pipe joints, valves, services, and branches while maintaining the quality of the water.
- Perform hydrant repairs for various models in the water distribution system.
- Conduct hydrant replacement as assigned.
- Perform preventive maintenance duties, including exercising valves, testing hydrants, making rehabilitation repairs, locating and marking appurtenances, accessing box alignments, and locating leaks.
- Operate various types of construction equipment, including tri-axle dump trucks with trailers, backhoe/end loaders with concrete busters, air compressors and hammers, utility vans or trucks, drill-rig trucks, and any other equipment assigned to specific projects.
- Operate various pneumatic and hand tools for completing repairs.
- Perform shop duties as assigned, including organizing and properly storing tools, supplies, materials, and equipment to facilitate field operations.
Customer Service Duties
- Coordinate activities with contractors conducting water main relay projects by operating valves, testing water shutoff, and notifying customers of water outages.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
May be assigned to work either first, second, or third shift, and is required to work Saturday and Sunday on a rotating basis throughout the year, as scheduled or as assigned.
Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions, at all hours, and throughout the entire Milwaukee Water Works (MWW) service area, including St. Francis, Greenfield, and Hales Corners.
Respond to mandatory callouts to conduct emergency repair assignments and work for extended hours beyond the normal work shift as needed to meet the needs of the utility.
Perform physically demanding manual labor that includes climbing ladders, entering manholes and excavations, hand digging, and transferring and moving objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
At time of application:
- One year of experience performing heavy construction functions such as utility installation, building foundation installation, road construction, plumbing, steamfitting, or landscaping (i.e., hardscape installation or sprinkler installation and maintenance).
Within six months of appointment and throughout employment:
- A valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class B without air brake restrictions.
- Certified as a Competent Person in excavation safety in accordance with OSHA standards.
Backhoe or front-end loader operation experience.
State of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Waterworks Operator Certification for Distribution Systems Operations (Subclass D).
Wisconsin CDL N endorsement (tank vehicles).
Water distribution system piping and appurtenances repair and maintenance experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of underground construction practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of construction safety principles and practices and the ability to perform work safely.
- Ability to learn and identify various hydrant models.
- Ability to carefully use job-related hand tools and pneumatic tools.
- Ability to safely operate construction vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to understand basic mechanical and plumbing concepts.
- Ability to read and understand job-related documents.
- Ability to complete required forms clearly, accurately, and completely.
- Ability to read and understand plat maps and construction plans.
- Knowledge of mathematics to be able to accurately make calculations, determine amounts of material needed, and take measurements to complete jobs.
Interpersonal Skills and Professionalism
- Customer service skills and the ability to represent the MWW positively with the general public.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment with others whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own, including supervisors, coworkers, and contractors.
- Ability to remain calm during adverse situations.
- Honesty and the ability to use City resources responsibly.
The current starting salary rate (Pay Range 8FN) is $39,117 annually, and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $40,291.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Friday, October 14, 2022. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
NOTE: By law, persons in these positions are required to pass pre-employment drug test and are subject to random drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment. Candidates must sign a release authorizing the City to receive the results of any drug and alcohol tests conducted by previous employers during the past two years if those tests were required by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting,
- Applications and license documentation should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO Code 805
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|