PERSONNEL PAYROLL ASSISTANT III
|Requesting Department||DPW - ADMINISTRATION|
|Open Date||9/22/2022 2:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/14/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides casual sophistication—big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old-world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Personnel Payroll Assistant III supports the human resource functions of the Department of Public Works (DPW) by onboarding of new hires to the Department and by processing payroll, including handling time entry and reporting.
- Process payroll and time-entry for an employee group within the DPW.
- Maintain employee personnel records, absences, and leave balances.
- Process and maintain supporting documentation, such as personnel folders, sick leave applications, and personnel forms.
- Audit payroll and related reports for accuracy.
- Generate various payroll reports for managers, departments, and agencies.
- Prepare payroll and human resources documents.
- Enter, review, edit, and approve time using the City’s online time entry system.
- Process special pay and calculate retroactive adjustments.
- Prepare payroll hours, salary dollars, and benefit adjustments.
- Track employee personnel, payroll, and benefit records using Oracle’s Peoplesoft Human Capital Management (HCM) software.
- Provide orientation and onboarding support to new employees.
- Provide timecard processing and employee benefits support to current DPW employees.
- Provide support to departmental members regarding policies and procedures.
- Answer inquiries from employees via phone and email.
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that you are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to your employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to your employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s Covid-19 Vaccination Policy here.
- This position requires that all work is performed in the office; accordingly, the incumbent will not be eligible for a remote work arrangement.
- Four years of progressively responsible office support experience, including one year performing personnel and or payroll-related duties.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
Notice: Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers.
- Knowledge of Oracle’s PeopleSoft HCM system.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Ability to learn payroll and federal compliance requirements for City employees.
- Ability to learn and work with payroll processes, Oracle’s PeopleSoft HCM system, and the City of Milwaukee’s time entry system to perform transactions.
- Ability to read, interpret, and clearly explain benefits, payroll deductions, leave policies, procedures, and forms.
- Ability to perform accurate data entry and mathematical calculations.
- Proficiency using standard applications such as Microsoft Office to create documents, use spreadsheets, create charts, and generate reports.
- Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy.
Communication and Interpersonal
- Knowledge of customer service best practices and the ability to serve internal customers professionally.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with individuals at all levels inside and outside the DPW, including individuals whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to work well both independently and as a team member.
Critical Thinking and Professionalism
- Ability to think critically and analytically.
- Ability to work with sensitive information.
- Ability to effectively organize and complete work assignments with regular deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and within fixed time constraints.
- Ability to perform work honestly and with sensitivity, to maintain confidentiality, and to safeguard City resources.
The current salary range (Pay Range 5EN) is $41,311 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $42,550. Appointment will be made in accordance with the City of Milwaukee Salary Ordinance.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Department of Public Works (Administration) reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral exams, performance tests, or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.