INVENTORY ASSISTANT I and II
|Open Date||6/28/2022 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/22/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Inventory Assistant receives and disburses materials, supplies and equipment to Department of Public Works employees and contractors, ensuring that the work crews have what they need in order to provide essential services to the City of Milwaukee residents, visitors and businesses.
This position will be filled at the level of Inventory Assistant I (PG 6GN) or Inventory Assistant II (PG 6HN), depending upon the needs of the Department of Public Works. The names of successful candidates will be placed on the highest level eligible list for which they qualify.
- Enter data into computer databases to produce requisitions, disbursements or material receipts for all types of electrical construction, traffic control, street and sewer maintenance and water department inventory and general supplies.
- Check all documents for accuracy.
- Assist field and shop personnel in proper completion of disbursements and assignment of proper commodity codes.
- Post requisitions and receipts to files and filing systems.
- Log many types of billings; perform general typing, and filing.
- Code all materials and items that require code numbers.
- Verify accuracy of daily inventory transactions with material requisition and disbursement computer reports.
- Make adjusting entries accordingly to correct discrepancies.
- Monitor all stock/non-stock material levels; inform proper personnel of reorder levels, for reorder action.
Disbursement of Materials
- Assist in the physical receipt, disbursement, and storage of materials and supplies.
- Check materials against packing slips and purchase orders, and arrange for acceptance or rejection.
- Ensure materials are secured properly.
- Assist in unloading new materials from trucks, transport materials within stockrooms and storage yards or between storage areas and/or various fabrication shops, and perform any other manual labor as required.
- Pack materials for shipment and/or return to vendors.
- Conduct physical inventory counts on a daily, yearly or periodic basis as established; report variances to supervisor for investigation and action.
- Deliver materials to construction sites. Make emergency pickups from vendors and mail runs between stores and various division offices and facilities.
- Perform general stores housekeeping functions, keeping all bins/shelves well stocked and orderly. Organize, adjust, maintain and clean shelving and other inventory areas.
- Operate vehicles and equipment such as forklifts, hand tools, mobile cranes, overhead cranes and pallet jacks.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy here.
- Ability to work outside in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds of equipment/material alone and more with assistance.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time up to 8 hours per day.
Inventory Assistant I
- Six months of storekeeping experience (i.e., receiving, checking, storing, disbursing, etc.) related to the essential functions of this position.
Inventory Assistant II
- One year of storekeeping experience (i.e., receiving, checking, storing, disbursing, etc.) related to the essential functions of this position.
For Both Inventory Assistant I and II
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of storekeeping, warehousing and inventory procedures.
- Data entry and computer skills to use the computer to enter data from customer requests.
- Organizational skills to efficiently complete work tasks.
- Problem solving skills to find solutions to unique situations that occur (e.g. form not filled out correctly or missing information).
- Ability to complete forms accurately and completely.
- Ability to read and interpret policies and procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret forms.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to distinguish between letters and numbers to accurately document and identify commodities.
- Attention to detail to ensure accurate receipt, storing and distribution of materials.
Customer Service and Interpersonal Skills
- Verbal skills to effectively communicate with diverse individuals over the phone or in person.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with diverse individuals.
- Customer service skills to effectively meet the needs of customers inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to multitask to accomplish work to meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with coworkers and residents whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
Inventory Assistant I
The current starting wage (6GN) is $34,656 annually. The resident incentive wage for City of Milwaukee residents is $35,696 annually.
Inventory Assistant II
The current starting wage (6HN) is $38,205 annually. The resident incentive wage for City of Milwaukee residents is $39,352 annually.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the application deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.