EQUIPMENT PARTS ASSISTANT
|Requesting Department||DPW-OPS-FLEET SERVICES|
|Open Date||7/29/2022 08:20:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/19/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old-world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, topflight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Equipment Parts Assistant ensures the availability of essential parts for the repair and maintenance of city vehicles and equipment by applying efficient inventory control, parts procurement, and expedited order procedures.
Equipment Part Inventory Procurement and Control
- Maintain inventory through variance identification, warehouse stocking, inventory transfers, and recommendations of addition to regularly stocked parts inventory.
- Prioritize required tasks to make efficient use of work time for self and the division repair and operations personnel.
- Expedite parts orders based on inventory status and the need of parts for immediate repairs.
- Determine spare parts availability using the inventory control system.
- Identify manufacturer and aftermarket part numbers to make correct orders.
- Source, order, receive, and deliver non-stocked items from vendors.
- Document and post inventory and purchase transactions in the fleet management software program. Ensure material security to reduce loss and theft.
- Support repair and operations personnel through the fulfillment of requests for parts and supplies.
- Perform parts pickup and delivery, including the loading and unloading of trucks.
- Support vehicle/equipment repair crews during snow and ice control operations.
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s Covid-19 Vaccination Policy here.
- The Equipment Parts Assistant may be assigned to work first or second shift and will be scheduled for an on-call rotation to support emergency snow and ice control operation repairs.
- Ability to lift and carry equipment and materials up to 50 pounds alone and more weight with assistance.
- Two years of experience in a parts related field, such as performing parts shipping and inventory control at a jobber, vehicle/ equipment dealer, in a heavy equipment industry or in a construction company.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment. The incumbent will be required to drive a City-owned vehicle.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
NOTICE: Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of automotive and heavy equipment parts, parts manuals, and tools to find and source parts from vendors.
- Knowledge of warehousing procedures to ensure inventory is easy to find and to identify variances.
- Knowledge of inventory management methods and techniques to improve the availability of regularly used items within the inventory.
- Ability to efficiently utilize fleet management software programs to allow effective tracking of stock and the needs of vehicle job orders.
- Ability to read and understand job related documents, such as work rules, policies, operating manuals, street maps, equipment specifications, and parts descriptions.
- Ability to learn new vehicle, equipment, and material management technologies to remain current with industry related trends and best practice.
Communication, Interpersonal and Customer Focus
- Ability to communicate verbally with external vendors and coworkers.
- Active listening skills to ensure fleet maintenance needs are met in an accurate manner.
- Ability to identify, prioritize and meet customer needs to ensure parts, service and equipment are available when needed by various mechanics, supervisors and departments.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one's own.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and work environments.
The current starting salary (PG 6IN) is $37,673 annually (18.11 hourly) and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $38,804 annually (18.66 hourly).
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE: The examination will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting https://www.jobapscloud.com/MIL/
- Applications should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 604
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|