Transportation Operations Assistant
|Open Date||5/10/2022 1:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/3/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
The Department of Public Works (DPW) Multimodal Unit is seeking college students interested in transportation planning, policy, and design to fill part-time, year-round positions.
This position provides valuable career development experience in the transportation field, including opportunities to work closely with professional planners and engineers, outside agency stakeholders, community organizations and members of the public to improve mobility and ensure equitable health outcomes.
DPW’s Multimodal Unit works to create sustainable, vibrant, equitable and connected streets and public spaces that provide choice, safety, comfort and access for everyone in Milwaukee. We prioritize sustainable transportation through collaboration and engagement with other departments, outside agencies, community partners and residents.
This is a part-time internship position (fixed term appointment), and hours worked cannot exceed 1,040 hours per year.
Under the general direction of the Transportation Engineering Planner and other Multimodal Unit team members, the Transportation Operations Assistant will help implement the City’s Complete Streets Policy, Pedestrian Plan, Bicycle Plan and Safe Routes to School Plan, as well as help achieve City goals related to safe street design, equity, health, and climate.
- Perform field observation of traffic conditions; collect data relative to walking, biking and driving, motor vehicle speeds, traffic signal operations and curbside usage.
- Assist staff in the field layout of traffic control devices.
Drafting and Data Compilation Duties
- Prepare engineering plans for various pedestrian, bicycle and traffic safety improvement projects.
- Summarize and enter traffic data into Excel and geographic information system (GIS) databases.
- Prepare graphics, maps and other displays for community engagement events.
- Prepare work orders for the installation of bicycle racks, signs, and pavement markings.
- Assist in drafting various plans and policies related to Complete Streets, mobility, innovation and other multimodal improvements.
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy here.
- Must be able to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be able to safely perform work in proximity to live traffic conditions.
- Must be able to perform light physical work exerting up to 10 pounds of force and perform physical activities in the work environment that require agility, including walking, standing, climbing stairs, crouching, stooping and reaching.
- Current enrollment as a sophomore or higher at an accredited college or university in urban planning, civil engineering, transportation planning, architecture, urban studies, public policy, public administration or a closely related field.
- Ability to travel independently throughout the City of Milwaukee, either by public transportation, bicycle or automobile.
NOTICE: Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers.
- Familiarity with current innovations in transportation and mobility planning and design.
- GIS, Adobe Suite, and/or CAD experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Ability to use a digital traffic recorder to collect data.
- Ability to collect, compile and analyze data.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Written communication skills to be able to summarize data and prepare reports.
- Verbal communication skills to effectively convey information to other staff and managers.
- Ability to work efficiently in a team environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to organize and complete work assignments while adhering to deadlines.
- Situational awareness and ability to apply safety principles and practices as they apply to all components of this job.
- Enthusiasm and initiative to make Milwaukee’s streets safer and more comfortable for people walking, biking, taking transit and driving.
The current starting hourly rate (PG 9PN) is $18.32 and the resident incentive starting hourly rate for City of Milwaukee residents is $18.87.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|