CIVIL ENGINEER I & II
|Requesting Department||DPW - INFRASTRUCTURE|
|Open Date||5/23/2022 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/1/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
The DPW-Infrastructure engineering and construction staff members provide structural maintenance and inspection services throughout the City of Milwaukee, including the design, project management, inspection and evaluation of 180 bridge structures, 200 buildings, over 1,400 miles of paved streets and over 2,400 miles of sewers.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Civil Engineer prepares engineering designs and plans, and performs construction review and/or inspection in one or more of the following areas: sewer and environmental engineering; water engineering; street, highway and transportation engineering; traffic engineering; and structural engineering.
Eligible candidates who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the highest-level eligible list for which they qualify.
- Prepare engineering designs and plans using design software and drawing tools such as AutoCADD and Microstation.
- Ensure engineering activities are compliant with environmental, safety, or other governmental regulations.
- Inspect project sites to monitor progress and to ensure conformance to design specifications.
- Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, and labor, and prepare cost estimates.
- Review and prepare responses to plans, correspondence, and legislative initiatives.
- Provide technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modifications and structural repairs.
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or geological data to plan projects.
- Prepare contract documents.
- Coordinate design and construction activities.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s Covid-19 Vaccination Policy here.
Both Civil Engineer I and Civil Engineer II levels:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited school of engineering.
Note: Students with senior status may apply for this position but may not be appointed until their degree has been completed.
2. Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Civil Engineer II level:
3. One year of full-time professional civil engineering experience performing related functions.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application or sent via email to email@example.com. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include the following information: the university or college name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the degree completion date. Student copies are acceptable.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology.
- Knowledge of mathematics such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and the ability to make accurate calculations.
- Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, and their interrelationships and application to understanding fluid dynamics.
- Ability to prepare engineering plans using design software and drawing tools such as AutoCADD, Microstation, and/or Civil 3D.
- Skill in the use of computer software such as Microsoft Office.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and technical materials.
Communication and Interpersonal
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships with a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary staff, the public, various City of Milwaukee officials, and other agencies.
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels inside and outside the organization as well as work courteously, cooperatively, and effectively with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Written communication skills, including the ability to prepare reports.
- Commitment to racial equity and inclusion.
Judgment and Responsibility
- Listening and problem-solving skills to gather information and make informed decisions.
- Analytical and reasoning skills.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate information to solve problems.
- Skill in making effective decisions.
- Ability to perform work duties with professionalism, honesty, and integrity.
- Ability to efficiently plan and coordinate work.
Civil Engineer I
The current starting salary range (PR 2EN) is $60,123 - $64,695 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $61,927 - $66,636. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
Civil Engineer II
The current starting salary range (PR 2GN) is $66,136 - $73,504 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $68,120 - $75,709. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
Applications and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 201
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|