GRAPHIC DESIGNER II
|Requesting Department||HEALTH-Policy, Innovation and Engagement|
|Open Date||5/17/2022 3:15:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/10/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT FROM CIVIL SERVICE; THE INCUMBENT WILL SERVE AT THE PLEASURE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF HEALTH
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Graphic Designer creates media content to help at-risk and underserved communities stay informed about COVID-19 and to promote equitable testing and vaccination efforts.
Graphic Design Production
- Design and produce layouts, illustrations, and professional finished art of Covid-19 health related printed materials.
- Electronically prepare and revise Covid-19 health disparities charts, graphs, and maps for use in print production.
- Create grant related graphics for television and video formats.
- Take digital photographic work as needed.
- Maintain files and records of forms, artwork, and printed samples related to grant activities, strategies, and milestones.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop graphics to address Covid-19 health disparities.
Graphic Production Coordination
- Assist in coordinating outside vendors and printers and monitoring quality of work product.
- Work with the Milwaukee Health Department (MHD) personnel to determine scope of grant activity.
- Assist in developing preliminary visual concepts.
Web Design and Maintenance
- Work with MHD’s Marketing and Communications Officer and Coordinator in the development, design, maintenance, and update of the MHD Website.
- Participate in joint projects related to the Covid-19 health disparities grant.
- Develop graphic images and layouts consistent with the City of Milwaukee web site style standards.
- Recommend proper graphic design templates and interfaces.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy here.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, graphic arts, marketing, advertising, media relations, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Two years of experience performing professional graphic design work related to the essential functions outlined above.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
You must submit the following documents by the application close date: A digital portfolio of exactly ten images of recent work in PDF format; images on CD or DVD will be rejected. NOTES: Do not refer to a web link. Do not send originals, as original samples cannot be returned.
NOTICE: Please do not attach your academic transcripts to your employment application. The hiring department will verify candidates’ education as part of the background screening process prior to extending any job offers.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish, English/Hmong, or English/Russian.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of graphic arts and design principles.
- Knowledge of marketing and promotion practices.
- Knowledge of graphics for the web, including the use of appropriate file formats.
- Skill in the operation of desktop workstations.
- Familiarity with social media platforms, strategies, and best practices.
- Ability to identify effective design, layout, and formatting of visual communications.
- Skill in using computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Experience and comfort with multiple software applications including Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and PowerPoint Ability to develop creative, imaginative, and original ideas.
- Skill in the planning, layout, graphic design, creation, and maintenance of web sites using Content Management System (CMS) and HTML.
- Skill in the creation of electronic presentations using PowerPoint and Flash for educational, public service and outreach purposes.
- Willingness to stay abreast of leading-edge technologies and practices in graphic design.
- Ability to read and interpret job related materials, including scientific and technical journals.
Interpersonal and Communication
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with management and staff at all levels.
- Ability to read work-related documents, such as government regulations, manuals, and periodicals.
- Verbal communication skills (in order to…)
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, including editing (I suggest they elaborate upon this).
- Ability to interact effectively with elected officials, City managers, the news media and the public.
- Ability to work cooperatively with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
Judgement and Professionalism
- Ability to solve problems and use good judgment.
- Organizational and prioritization skills to accomplish work with urgent deadlines; attention to detail.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple concurrent projects, meet strict deadlines, and handle changing priorities.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
The current salary range (Pay Range 2BN) for City of Milwaukee residents is $45,946-$55,042 annually, and the non-resident salary range is $44,607-$53,439. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval. (Salary corrected on May 18, 2022 by JAH).
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Milwaukee Health Department reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to an interview. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE – Interested individuals must submit a resume, a letter of interest, and digital portfolio by email to Sarah Wangerin, Human Resources Analyst Sr. at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Graphic Designer II in the subject line.
Questions may be directed to Sarah Wangerin, Human Resources Analyst, Sr. by email at email@example.com. The deadline for submission of application materials is Friday, June 10, 2022.