ENGINEERING DRAFTING TECHNICIAN I / II
|Requesting Department||DPW - INFRASTRUCTURE|
|Open Date||4/19/2022 4:45:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/27/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old-world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City's residents. If you have a passion for being part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The Engineering Drafting Technician performs computer-aided drafting of construction plans related to roadway paving, sewer construction, street lighting, traffic signals, underground conduit systems, and water systems.
Engineering Drafting Technician I and II will be open for applications several times throughout 2022. See the chart below. *Only applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job will be invited to participate in the selection process.
Eligible candidates who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the highest-level eligible list for which they qualify.
- Use MicroStation and geographic information systems (GIS) software to produce technical drawings of the following: City and State paving, sewer, water, street lighting, traffic signals, parking meter layouts, and underground conduit, easements, and vacations.
- Update engineering quarter sections and perform other mapping functions.
- Compute mathematical calculations such as distances, areas, angles, and dimensions.
ADMINISTRATIVE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE:
- Maintain City records for sewers, street lighting, traffic signals, and underground conduit.
- Order, compile, file, and distribute information related to City contracts.
- Perform database entry for sewers, street lighting, and Diggers Hotline.
- Support the Diggers Hotline by responding to customer inquiries.
Conditions of Employment
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy here: https://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/derAuthors/Policies/COVID-19EmployeeVaccinationPolicy.pdf.
Engineering Drafting Technician I AND Engineering Drafting Technician II:
1. One year of full-time drafting experience using AutoCAD or
Successful completion of two semesters of high school and/or college-level drafting coursework.
2. Valid Wisconsin driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Engineering Drafting Technician II:
1. Two years of full-time civil engineering drafting experience.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
NOTE: College-level engineering curriculum courses for which an average grade equivalent to “C” was earned may be substituted for up to one year of the required experience. Substitution will be made on the basis of five credits equals three months of experience, and no substitution will be made for fewer than five credits.
NOTE: To receive credit for coursework in AutoCAD or MicroStation, college transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is imperative that you provide transcripts to ensure that you are given credit for job-related education. Otherwise, when your background is assessed to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, your application will be considered incomplete and may not be accepted. Your transcript must be legible and include the following information: the college/university name, your name, the degree completed, and degree completion date (if applicable). Student copies are acceptable.
NOTE: The Engineering Drafting Technician I position is the entry-level title within the Engineering Drafting Technician promotional series. Promotion to the next level, Engineering Drafting Technician II, is possible after two years of experience as an Engineering Drafting Technician I OR proof of two years of engineering experience OR successful completion of one year of college-level engineering-related curriculum and one year of civil engineering drafting experience.
- Coursework in Civil Engineering Technology either at the high school or college level.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of drafting techniques, including computer aided drafting programs.
- Knowledge of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry to compute various calculations such as angles, curves, triangles, circles, radii, percentages, fractions, square footage, distances, areas, and dimensions.
- Skill in using AutoCAD and/or MicroStation as well as geographic information systems (GIS) to produce technical drawings.
- Ability to read and interpret technical job-related documents.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL
- Written communication skills in order to effectively create business correspondence and reports.
- Verbal communication skills in order to effectively share information with internal and external customers.
- Interpersonal skills to be able to develop and maintain effective working relationships with managers and colleagues.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with coworkers and residents whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
CRITICAL THINKING AND PROFESSIONALISM
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects with varying and often tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Honesty and the ability to use City resources responsibly.
Engineering Drafting Technician I:
The current salary range (PR 3DN) is $39,252 -45,287 annually, and the current resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $40,430-46,646.
Engineering Drafting Technician II:
The current salary range (PR 3FN) is $42,871-48,114 annually, and the current resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $44,157-49,557.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral or performance tests; or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to the oral examination. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
THIS IS A CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT. Applications will be accepted and interviews held during 2022 as often as required to meet the needs of the City. Qualified applicants will be notified by email of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee. Employment may be possible immediately following the examination if positions are vacant at that time. The names of successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list in a rank determined by the final grade without reference to the date of the examination. The names of candidates who pass all phases of the selection process may remain on an eligible list resulting from a continuous examination for up to six months.
- Applications can be accessed by visiting www.jobapscloud.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|