VEHICLE SERVICES TECHNICIAN
|Requesting Department||DPW-OPS-FLEET SERVICES|
|Open Date||12/29/2021 10:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/19/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jamie Heberer|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City's residents. If you have a passion for being part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
Vehicle Services Technicians inspect, maintain, and repair operating systems for a variety of automobiles, light trucks, vans, heavy trucks and equipment, and other miscellaneous City-owned equipment.
Vehicle Services Technician will be open for applications multiple times throughout 2022. (See the chart below.) *Only applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the job will be invited to participate in the selection process.
APPLICATION PERIODS AND WRITTEN EXAM ADMINISTRATIONS 2022
*Written Exam to be held:
(*Subject to change)
(Subject to Change)
- Perform simple to complex maintenance and repair of major automotive operating systems, including steering, suspension, heating, cooling, exhaust, emission control, transmission, fuel, brake, hydraulic, electrical, electronic, and computer-controlled systems.
- Repair various engine types, including gasoline, diesel, propane and alternative fuel.
- Conduct routine service such as lubricating steering, suspension and other components, changing oil and fluids, and performing inspections for safety and operational fitness.
- Take repair orders and work independently or in consultation with shop employees, drivers, or supervisors to diagnose problems related to equipment malfunctions and complete appropriate repairs.
- Perform general computer input and use related manuals, diagnostic equipment, and various work tools.
- Test drive vehicles and test operational fitness of other equipment.
- Perform heating and cutting operations with a torch and minor welding as needed.
- Perform minor vehicle body repair work and touch-up painting.
- Perform services as needed during emergencies, such as snow and ice control operations.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Subject to mandatory call-in for emergency duty during non-standard business hours.
- Must be able to properly lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Vehicle Services Technicians are considered essential staff during the current public health emergency.
Note: This position is subject to U.S. Department of Transportation Regulations on Drug and Alcohol Testing, including the required release of drug and alcohol tests conducted by previous employers within two years preceding appointment, and random drug and alcohol testing throughout employment with the City of Milwaukee.
1. Two years of experience in repairing and overhauling automotive equipment;
An Associate’s degree in Automotive Technology from an accredited two-year college or technical school.
A one-year certificate in Automotive Technology from an accredited college or technical school AND one year of experience in the maintenance and repair of automotive equipment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and may be rejected. Unofficial copies are acceptable; however, the transcripts must be legible and include the school name, applicant name, degree completed (if applicable), and date completed.
2. Valid driver's license at time of application. Satisfactory driving record at time of application and throughout employment is required. Driver's license number must be listed on the application.
3. A valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), minimum Class B without the air brakes restriction, within 6 months of appointment and throughout employment.
- National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Master Certification, and/or certifications in diesel engines, brakes, and electrical/electronic systems.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- A high degree of skill in the maintenance and repair of automotive vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to diagnose mechanical failures and defects with or without the use of diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to use hand tools and mechanical tools associated with automotive repair and municipal equipment repair.
- Ability to completely overhaul automotive equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret service, repair, and parts manuals in a hard copy format and in digital format.
- Ability to repair and replace automotive or municipal equipment parts and components.
- Ability to use applicable computer hardware and software.
- Knowledge of safe work practices and the ability to perform work safely.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one's own.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Ability to complete work assignments in a timely manner.
- Ability to keep tools, equipment, and work area clean and organized.
- Ability to safeguard departmental resources.
The current salary range (7ON) is $52,160-$68,036 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $53,725-$70,077. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral or performance tests; or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to the oral examination. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be accepted and interviews held during 2022 as often as required to meet the needs of the City. Qualified applicants will be notified by email of the date, time and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee. Employment may be possible immediately following the examination if positions are vacant at that time. The names of successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list in a rank determined by the final grade without reference to the date of the examination. The names of candidates who pass all phases of the selection process may remain on an eligible list resulting from a continuous examination for up to six months.
- Applications and further information may be accessed by visiting, https://www.jobapscloud.com/MIL/
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 702
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.