LEAD PROJECT ASSISTANT
|Requesting Department||HEALTH DEPARTMENT|
|Open Date||6/3/2021 1:35:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/24/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
Under the direction of the Environmental Health Services Manager, the Lead Project Assistant assigned to the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPP) functions as an ambassador for the lead abatement program by providing support to clients with application completion and submission, verifying client income, processing insurance payment requests and performing data management functions to ensure program compliance.
Application Assistance and Outreach
- Pursuant to Housing and Urban Development (HUD) guidelines, review client inquiries for program eligibility requirements for the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPP).
- Provide program application materials to qualified clients; assist clients with application completion and submission questions; conduct application follow-up with prospective clients.
- Use multiple databases in order to provide application review and verification of program eligibility; process applications for approval by Program Management; verify with Program Management and staff to ensure complete and accurate documentation.
- Enter application requests into the application database for distribution to program staff.
- Track open and pending cases for disqualification following inspections; update data bases accordingly; send correspondence regarding disqualification according to program guidelines.
- Perform community/client outreach in order to recruit new applicants into the CLPP; provide enrollment assistance at various locations.
- Encourage application to other MHD and social services programs that may serve clients’ needs.
Customer Advocacy and Troubleshooting
- Receive and process referrals from other programs for individuals who may have a need for CLPP services.
- Ensure that each client receives the best quality service available; use contacts within local and state government to press for quality client care.
- Advocate on behalf of all health department populations who have an insurance coverage deficit.
- Engage in cross-programming, training, and referral to ensure continuity of care for clients coming to the MHD.
- Remain abreast of administrative changes in Home and Environmental Health or other MHD initiatives and other related programs to ensure accuracy of information provided to clients.
Reporting and Administrative Duties
- Provide program data management by entering client information, including application, management approvals and caseload notes into the database daily.
- Complete all required internal MHD documentation and reports in a timely fashion.
- Participate in evaluation of the program to ensure compliance and quality.
- Participate in program and agency training.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- This is a first-shift position, working standard hours 8:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday; however, the Lead Project Assistant may be required to work an occasional evening or weekend to meet departmental needs.
- Must pass a TB skin test annually.
- May travel outside the City of Milwaukee, occasionally overnight, in order to attend training and conferences.
- While performing the duties of this job, employees may be exposed to infectious agents or toxins.
- Based upon each department’s responses to the COVID-19 pandemic and the needs of each department, employees may be expected to work from home intermittently or continuously.
- Duties may also include performing tasks related to the public health response to COVID-19.
- Two years of progressively responsible office support experience, performing customer service and data management duties related to the essential functions listed above.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment and the availability of a properly insured personal vehicle for use on the job (automobile allowance provided).
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible (readable) and include the following information: the university or college name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date the degree was completed.
- Provide interpretation in Spanish, Hmong or another language.
- Experience working with health related programs or initiatives.
- Experience working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Ability to learn and apply the eligibility requirements and application processes for public health or health related programs such as CLPP.
- Ability to read and interpret work-related documents such as state rules regarding eligibility requirements.
- Basic computer skills in order to use Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn database, presentation software and spreadsheet software applications and case management information system.
- Skill in navigating and entering program related data into a database programs.
Interpersonal, Customer Service and Communication
- Customer service skills including the ability to conduct prospective client interactions and application assistance in a compassionate, tactful manner.
- Ability to serve people from varied socioeconomic, educational, and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Verbal communications skills including the ability to clearly communicate program information and to provide outreach to a wide variety of audiences.
- Written communication skills, including the ability to accurately and effectively write case notes.
- Skill in providing advocacy and outreach, including the ability to identify and build relationships with community organizations and agencies.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to provide services in a culturally sensitive manner.
Judgement and Responsibility
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment. Ability to reason, consider alternatives, and solve complex problems.
- Ability to organize assignments and manage time to complete tasks based on divisional deadlines.
- Commitment to serve the public honestly and with sensitivity.
- Ability to remain professional at all times. Honesty, integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
The current starting salary (5FN) is $42,539 annually, and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $43,815 annually.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit: https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE: The examination will be held as soon as practical after Thursday, June 24, 2021. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- Applications can be accessed by visiting https://www.jobapscloud.com/MIL/.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|