ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT II
|Requesting Department||DPW - ADMINISTRATION|
|Open Date||3/23/2021 08:20:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||4/13/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
Accounting and Reporting
- Using PeopleSoft Financials, create control groups, vouchers, purchase orders and new vendors; research and resolve budget check errors when they occur; process bi-weekly ProCard statements; and check status of vendor contracts.
- Verify vendors and request W-9s when necessary; review invoices for pending credits and discounts, resolving problems prior to voucher creation; sort incoming invoices by payment category and distribute mail for the Finance Section.
- Maintain logs for voucher control groups and files for paid vendor invoices.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
- Four years of clerical experience including at least one year performing accounting functions including financial record keeping and account reconciliation. College-level courses may be substituted for part of the experience requirement; however, one year of financial records keeping and account reconciliation experience may not be substituted.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- Experience in governmental accounting.
- Familiarity with the City’s Financial Management Information System (FMIS) and PeopleSoft Financials.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to work with computerized accounting systems, spreadsheets, and access databases.
- Ability to guide users in the entire voucher process.
- Ability to use the appropriate mathematical methods or formulas to complete work assignments.
- Attention to detail to ensure the accuracy of calculations and financial reports.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to read and interpret job related material.
- Oral communication skills to clearly convey technical information to various audiences.
- Written communication skills to create business correspondence and reports.
- Ability to work both independently and to function as part of a team.
- Knowledge of the principles and processes for providing customer service for internal and external customers.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
Critical Thinking and Planning Skills
- Ability to exhibit exemplary professionalism.
- Ability to identify problems and develop and implement effective solutions.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and complete work assignments using effective time management skills.
- Attention to detail to ensure accuracy for accounting transactions and activities.
The current starting salary (salary range 6HN) is $37,830, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $38,965.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Tuesday, April 13, 2021. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents.