ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
|Requesting Department||DEPT OF CITY DEVELOPMENT|
|Open Date||11/13/2020 5:15:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/4/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT FROM CIVIL SERVICE
The Economic Development Specialist is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Commissioner – City Development. There are currently two openings for the position of Economic Development Specialist; a description of each can be found below.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
What Milwaukee can offer YOU
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, vibrant neighborhoods, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
Serve as compliance officer for all BIDs and NIDs in Milwaukee. Establish baseline data regarding annual assessments. Evaluate annual operating plans. Plan and present workshops to educate BID and NID staff regarding compliance requirements. Communicate with BID and NID staff to correct deficiencies. Prepare reports for Common Council regarding compliance, in connection with annual Council review of BID and NID operating plans.
- Administer BID and NID board appointment process. Vet board nominees for adherence to City requirements.
- Compile and present performance data regarding commercial finance programs operated by the Commercial Corridor Team. Respond to data requests from policy makers and departmental management.
- Serve as Commercial Corridor Team liaison to specific BIDs and NIDs. Attend board meetings, link BIDs and NIDs to City services and programs and work with BIDs to identify business location opportunities in assigned districts.
- Organize business owners and neighborhood business groups in commercial districts.
- Prepare and develop business development workshops for business owners and neighborhood business groups.
- Establish and maintain active communication with members of the Common Council regarding development initiatives and concerns in their districts.
- Appear before public bodies and community organizations to articulate issues and positions of the department and the City.
There are currently two openings for the position of Economic Development Specialist; the successful candidates will be assigned one of the following additional responsibilities:
- Assist Common Council members to bring to fruition their vision of development and business formation in their districts, by providing direct assistance to property and business owners.
- Coordinate economic development initiatives in city's commercial district through the Commercial Revitalization Grant program and interaction with BIDS/NIDS, and provide support to the Arts Board through the Arts Board Grant Program.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, economics, urban affairs, business administration, real estate, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Three years of program formulation and project implementation experience in the areas of economic development, community development and/or commercial real estate development.
- Valid driver’s license and possession of a properly insured vehicle for use on the job is required at time of appointment and throughout employment. Mileage reimbursement is provided.
Equivalent combinations of education and professional experience will be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be emailed to the Human Resources Officer, Vanessa Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org- Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- Master’s degree in communications, political science, business administration, real estate, marketing or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of business and management principles.
- Knowledge of the principles include urban development.
- Knowledge of strategic planning to maintain the organizational vision.
- Knowledge of project management strategies and principles.
- Knowledge of commercial real estate development.
- Ability to identify and determine new and effective ways to develop interest in the City’s neighborhood commercial districts.
- Passion and comfort with community work, including working with community leaders, businesses and stakeholders
- Ability to effectively set goals, manages multiple priorities, and work within tight time constraints.
- Ability to read and interpret complex business, technical and legal documents.
- Written communication skills to be able to write clear, complete and error-free correspondence and reports.
- Oral communication and presentation skills to be able to promote commercial development for the City.
- Interpersonal and customer service skills to be able to establish and maintain positive relationships with elected officials, City staff, and business owners.
- Research and analytical skills.
- Ability to think critically and analytically to problem-solve, make decisions and use sound judgment.
- Ability to use standard computer software and programs such as word processing, spreadsheet, database, and the Internet.
- Ability to be self-directed and work in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
The current salary range (2GX) is $51,469-$72,063 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $53,013-$74,225. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of City Development reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to an interview. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE – Interested individuals must submit a resume and a letter of interest by email to the Human Resources Officer, Vanessa Armstrong at email@example.com. Please indicate Economic Development Specialist in the subject line. Questions may be directed to Human Resources Officer, Vanessa Armstrong by email or by phone at 414.286.6076. The deadline for submission of application materials is Friday, December 4, 2020.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.