EQUIPMENT PARTS ASSISTANT
|Requesting Department||DPW-OPS-FLEET SERVICES|
|Open Date||5/20/2020 11:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/10/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
The Equipment Parts Assistant uses efficient inventory controls, parts procurement, and expedited orders; accurate and timely data entry and record maintenance; and effective receiving, stocking and disbursing of division related inventory to ensures availability of essential parts for the repair and maintenance of city vehicles and equipment.
- Support repair and operations personnel through fulfillment of requests for parts and supplies.
- Prioritize required tasks to make efficient use of work time for self and the division repair and operations personnel.
- Determine spare parts availability using inventory control system.
- Identify manufacturer and aftermarket part numbers to make correct orders.
- Source, order, receive, and deliver non-stocked items from vendors.
- Expedite parts orders as necessary based on inventory status and the need of parts for immediate repairs.
- Perform parts pickup and delivery, including the loading and unloading of trucks.
- Document and post inventory and purchase transactions in fleet management software program.
- Maintain inventory through variance identification, warehouse stocking, inventory transfers, and recommending additions to regularly stocked parts inventory.
- Ensure material security to reduce loss and theft.
- Support vehicle/equipment repair crews during snow and ice control operations.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- The Equipment Parts Assistant may be assigned to work first or second shift and will be scheduled for an on-call rotation to support emergency snow and ice control operation repairs.
- Ability to lift and carry equipment and materials up to 50 pounds alone and more weight with assistance.
- Three years of experience in a parts related field such as: jobber, dealer, or parts shipping and inventory control for a heavy equipment or a construction company in which duties performed closely relate to the essential functions for the Equipment Parts Assistant title as listed above.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
- ASE Parts Specialist Certification P1 (Medium-Heavy Duty Truck Dealership Parts Specialist).
- ASE Parts Specialist Certification P2 (Automobile Parts Specialist).
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Extensive knowledge of automotive and heavy equipment parts, parts manuals, and tools to increase efficiency finding and sourcing parts with vendors.
- Knowledge of warehousing procedures to ensure inventory is easy to find and to identify variances.
- Knowledge of inventory management methods and techniques in order to improve the availability of regularly used items within the inventory.
- Knowledge of fleet management software programs to allow effective management and tracking of stock and the needs of vehicle job orders.
- Active listening skills in order to ensure fleet maintenance needs are met in an accurate manner.
- Ability to communicate verbally with external vendors and coworkers.
- Ability to identify, prioritize and meet customer needs to ensure parts, service and equipment are available when needed by various mechanics, supervisors and departments.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one's own.
- Ability to learn new vehicle, equipment, and material management technologies in order to remain current with industry related trends and best practice.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and work environments.
The current starting salary (PG 6IN) is $36,935 annually and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $38,043 annually.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE: The examination will be held as soon as practical after Wednesday, June 10, 2020. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Defined Benefit Pension Plan
EEO = 604
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|