|Requesting Department||HEALTH DEPARTMENT|
|Open Date||3/25/2020 08:45:00 AM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
The Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Epidemiologist works within a division of public health programs focused on improving the health and well-being of men, women, infants, children, young adults, and families. (Revised: 3/26/20)
Data Analysis, Evaluation, and Communication
- Develop infrastructure to provide data for all Maternal and Child Health (MCH) populations.
- Acquire, analyze, and interpret data as well as plan, develop, implement, and evaluate data systems for the MCH Division within the Milwaukee Health Department (MHD).
- Develop and implement an effective system of data-driven program evaluation.
- Serve as the project lead/principal investigator in designing and implementing studies.
- Coordinate data collection and analysis for various grants, and assist in writing grants.
- Provide technical assistance and develop communication strategies related to data to internal staff and external stakeholders.
Database Design and Management
- Manage existing sensitive health databases, and oversee the collection, cleansing, storing, and maintenance of data from multiple sources across different platforms.
- Provide data management and basic data analyses to be used in program evaluation and public health research, both internal to the MHD and with community and academic partners.
- Design databases for programs.
- Manage MCH dashboard, and ensure proper entry of all program data.
- Serve as Local Organization Administrator (LOA) for the Secure Public Health Electronic Record Environment (SPHERE) data base, including providing employee access and responding to requests from program managers and coordinators.
Vital Statistics and FIMR Program Support
- Work with the Vital Statistics and Fetal Infant Mortality Review (FIMR) manager and Vital Records staff.
- Collaborate on performance improvement, enforce accountability by informing metrics, and support implementation of efforts to build up the division.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- The unique nature of the Epidemiologist position necessitates that he or she must work variable hours as required to meet the needs of the department.
- Travel outside the City of Milwaukee, occasionally overnight, for training purposes or for participating in meetings representing the City.
- Carry a mobile device during business hours.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 lbs.
- Master’s degree in biostatistics, epidemiology, public health, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Two years of experience in health-related database management performing duties related to this position.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment. Availability of a properly-insured vehicle for use on the job (automobile allowance provided).
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include the following information: the university or college name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date the degree was completed. (Revised:03/27/20)
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of epidemiology and related methods of public health research and practice.
- Knowledge of mathematical and statistical concepts.
- Ability to read and interpret work-related documents.
- Ability to effectively disseminate results, present information, and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, and the general public, including the ability to explain technical concepts to lay audiences.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary staff, other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to provide services in a culturally sensitive manner and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with coworkers and citizens whose background may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to plan, organize, and accomplish work, manage multiple assignments simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Detail orientation.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Decision-making skills and sound judgment.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to use and/or learn Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access, the Internet, SPSS, SQL, SharePoint, and geographic information systems (GIS).
- Commitment to stay abreast of current practices in epidemiology.
The current salary range (2JX) is $62,338-$87,270 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $64,209-$89,889. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral or performance tests; or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to the oral examination. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be accepted and interviews held as often as required to meet the needs of the City. Qualified applicants will be notified of the time and location of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee. The names of successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list in a rank determined by the final score without reference to the date of the examination. The names of candidates who pass all phases of the selection process may remain on an eligible list resulting from a continuous examination for up to six months.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 104
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|