|Open Date||2/5/2020 4:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/14/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
Milwaukee Water Works (MWW) has a unique opportunity for an experienced IT professional to shine in a role
that requires both solid programming acumen and first-rate interpersonal abilities.
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
- Use report writing and scripting software to create programming solutions to meet the needs of the Milwaukee Water Works (MWW) staff.
- Primarily use IBM Cognos Analytics software to create reports and files needed by managers and users of the MWW enQuesta CIS (Customer Information System); write some of these programs in Structured Query Language (SQL).
- Consult with MWW departmental managers and staff to analyze and define the user requirements; use enQuesta data directory to design, code, integrate, test, document, and maintain required programs.
- Use enQuesta Document Designer to perform field merge functions to create documents including work orders, letters, notices and invoices.
- Provide application and related system training to IT personnel and other MWW staff.
- Monitor and maintain database server hardware, virtualized servers, operating systems, and database software. Provide functional support in areas such as user accounts, SQL queries, batch data loads, table and view definitions, and end-user support.
- Perform backup procedures for operating systems and databases to ensure recoverability.
- Provide general assistance, maintenance, backups, and database administration.
- Ensure the integrity of databases, daily monitoring to ensure high availability of production and performing performance tuning and troubleshooting.
- Recover and restore production, development, and test databases.
- Perform relational database management system (RDBMS) tasks related to MS SQL Server and Oracle.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation.
- Write, edit, and test SQL batch files and use Procedural Language/Structured Query Language (PL/SQL).
- Schedule and automate database processing and tasks.
- Assist with application system upgrades on the business systems and plant automation systems including planning, testing, and implementing vendor and departmental changes.
- Stay abreast of changing technology; research and test application and support software, and recommend infrastructural changes to improve the operating efficiency of the databases.
- Interact with vendors for efficient implementation/operation of new software products or systems and for resolution of any adaptation issues.
- Interact with automation management, network administrators, system analysts and software engineers to assist in resolving problems with software products or departmental software systems.
- Interact regularly with managers, users, vendors and agencies to field queries and questions.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to respond to emergency call outs for assistance after normal business hours.
- Must be able to work for extended hours to respond to emergencies.
- Must be able to travel from one MWW location to another in variable weather conditions.
1. Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems (MIS), mathematics, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
2. Two years of professional experience administering, supporting, maintaining and restoring Oracle database applications, performing duties related to the essential functions of this position.
3. Valid Wisconsin driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Note: Candidates with a Master’s Degree must have at least on year of professional experience as listed above.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include the following information: the university or college name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date the degree was completed. Student copies are acceptable.
- Database 11g Administrator Certification
- Oracle Associate Certification
- Microsoft SQL Server Administrator Certification
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC), Data Guard, and Recovery Manager (RMAN).
- Knowledge of SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services).
- Interpersonal skills to interact with and work cohesively with other staff, department heads, officials and outside agencies and vendors.
- Written communication skills and documentation skills to write general correspondence, and detailed reports, specifications and procedures that can be used to create programs and interfaces.
- Verbal communication skills to train and present technical information to users in a constructive and effective manner.
- Ability to administer, support and maintain MS SQL Server databases.
- Ability to use MS Windows Server and Linux.
- Ability to generate database reports and queries.
- Ability to manage servers in a storage area network (SAN) and virtual environment.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex database-related issues.
- Ability to create and maintain system documentation.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines to deliver database reports.
- Ability to work well independently and to function as part of a team.
- Ability to take initiative to solve complex problems with minimal supervision, and be able to recognize when a problem must be addressed at a higher level.
- Ability to create detailed plans for testing and implementation that others can understand and use effectively.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and when responding to emergency situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and have high ethical standards.
The current salary range (2GX) is $51,469-$72,063 annually, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $53,013-$74,225. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement C
- ommuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral, performance tests or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com. T
- he Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.