MARKET DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
|Requesting Department||PORT OF MILWAUKEE|
|Open Date||10/1/2019 4:32:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/22/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
- Develop and maintain quality transportation and distribution services that satisfy the needs and desires of current customers and attract new customers.
- Identify and develop strategies for new transportation and distribution services through Port Milwaukee.
- Successfully market port services to attract individual cargo opportunities to the Port and create cargo growth.
- Identify and report on market conditions to formulate and execute market entry strategies.
- Take steps to thoroughly understand rates and levels of service in order to close sales. Provide follow-up to ensure a quality and repetitive operation.
- Develop alternative strategies for pursuing new cargo and estimating potential share, revenue, and expense criteria.
- Keep abreast of developments within the maritime industry as well as current practices in sales and marketing.
Marketing & Promotion
- Make public appearances and presentations on behalf of the Port, including representing the Port at trade shows, other industry events and on marketing trips.
- Promote increased use of new and existing Port facilities and assets to maintain and attract new cargo from domestic and international markets.
- Serve as Port’s direct liaison with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
- Maintain regular customer contact via phone and in writing to monitor customer satisfaction, resolve problems, and intervene on their behalf with tenants, ocean carriers, and service providers.
- Maintain accurate records of customer profiles via marketing and sales calls.
- Act as a catalyst and resource to Port customers to develop continual improvements in transportation and distribution processes throughout Wisconsin.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires travel outside the City of Milwaukee, including occasional overnight travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in transportation, business, marketing, economics, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Three years of sales and marketing experience in the transportation field including marketing, generating leads, making presentations, closing sales, and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) issued by the U.S. obtained within six months of employment.
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA) obtained within six months of employment.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- Bilingual in French or German.
- Knowledge and/or experience of the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Seaway (GLSLS) System.
- Knowledge and/or experience of social media utilization for business development.
- Experience in sales and marketing related to land or sea shipping.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of the principles of sales and marketing.
- Knowledge of economics and international trade.
- Knowledge of statistics related to rail and maritime trade.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the transportation industry, including intermodal transportation and multimodal port operations.
- Ability to conduct marketing research, implement marketing and promotion strategies, and produce effective marketing materials.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret work-related materials.
- Strong analytical, research, and project participation skills.
- Oral communication and presentation skills to deliver effective presentations.
- Written communication skills to produce reports to support marketing and business development.
- Ability to utilize standard computer software and programs such as email word processing, spreadsheet and databases to create documents and prepare reports.
- Customer service skills including the ability to identify customers’ needs and ensure their satisfaction. Interpersonal skills, including the ability to cultivate and maintain effective relationships across levels and cultures with industry contacts, government officials, coworkers, community representatives, and the general public.
- Ability to plan, organize, and accomplish work, manage concurrent projects, and meet deadlines.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Decision-making skills and sound judgment.
- Persuasion and negotiation skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to ever-changing market conditions and other circumstances.
- Ability to stay abreast of developments within the maritime industry and current practices in sales and marketing.
- Ability to exemplify professionalism, honesty and integrity.
The current salary range (2MX) is $75,478-$105,669, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $77,743-$108,839. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2019.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Tuesday, October 22, 2019. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.