|Open Date||9/20/2019 3:55:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
The eligible list resulting from this examination may be used to fill similar City of Milwaukee positions.
2019 Operation Driver Worker – Continuous Recruitment:
Tentative Application close date:
Tentative Written Exam date:
Friday, September 20, 2019
11:59 PM on Friday, November 1, 2019
Thursday, November 21, 2019
- Perform professional commercial driving and operate collection and specialty vehicles.
- Collect and load municipal solid waste or recyclable waste, furniture, miscellaneous items and brush.
- Drive, maintain and operate trucks and special equipment, such as garbage packers, street sweepers, Labries (automated side loading trucks), Vac-alls (vacuum trucks), tri-axle dump trucks, sensor salting trucks, front loading trucks, skid steer trucks, and small tractors in order to perform waste collection, leaf clean-up, plowing, salting, or other ice control operations.
- Serve as a first responder for emergency snow and ice control operations by operating salt trucks, garbage trucks with plows, and other miscellaneous equipment as needed to provide the City of Milwaukee with safe, passable streets throughout the winter season.
- Monitor vehicle condition and perform minor maintenance on trucks such as checking and maintaining fluid levels, greasing, inflating tires, and checking tire tread; report vehicle maintenance needs.
- Modify vehicle-related equipment, including adjusting the broom on street sweepers, connecting plowing blades onto garbage packers, securing loads, and attaching hydraulic lines as needed to maintain optimal equipment performance.
- Operate assigned vehicles safely, and load them within legal weight limits.
- Perform manual labor such as lifting, pushing, and pulling waste carts and other large items such as furniture and brush.
- Provide job related documentation by completing forms for payroll reporting, vehicle service needs, combined collection crew checklist, and residential cart tag notifications.
- Provide professional, courteous waste collection services and assistance to City residents, including providing Sanitation services information, answering questions, listening to complaints/concerns, offering resolution and, when necessary to meet a service need, referring the matter to a supervisor.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
Operations Drive/Worker must be able to do the following:
- Drive and work in inclement weather (e.g., snow and ice) and withstand prolonged exposure to extreme weather conditions (e.g., heat, cold, rain, wind, and snow).
- Respond to emergency call outs and report within 30 minutes at any time during the day or night, any day of the week, for snow and ice control operations and other emergency.
- Work extended hours and beyond normally assigned shifts to meet the needs of the department.
- See clearly both near and far to read signage and perform job duties safely and accurately.
- Perform heavy physical work including lifting, moving, and transferring objects and equipment weighing up to 100 lbs. occasionally, and up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Perform physical activities in the work environment for extended periods of time that require walking long distances, climbing in and out of equipment, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) (Class A or B) without Air Brakes restriction by the date of application period close (see chart under Introduction above), throughout the hiring process, and throughout employment.
- Good driving record. Driving records will be checked prior to job offer.
- Appointment to the Operations Driver/Worker positions within the Department of Public Works requires residency within 15 miles of the jurisdictional boundaries of the City of Milwaukee within six months of appointment and throughout appointment to the position pursuant to Rule III, Section 4(f) of the Rules of the City Service Commission. A map defining the jurisdictional boundary is located on the Fire and Police Commission website at: http://city.milwaukee.gov/fpc/Residency-Map.htm#.WPTR5E11qAg.
- You must provide your CDL number by the date of application period close to be considered for this position. The CDL number must be provided on the online application; sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 414.286.0203; or submitted in person to the City of Milwaukee Department of Employee Relations, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Not providing your CDL number by the date of application period close will result in the application being rejected.
- A CDL may be obtained by passing:
- The General Knowledge and Air Brakes portions of the Commercial Driver’s License test given by the State of Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles.
- A road test administered by an approved third party administrator.
- Please visit the DMV’s website for more information regarding the testing process and third party administrators for the road test: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/com-drv-vehs/cdl-how-aply/cdl-how-to-apply.aspx
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
- By law, persons in these positions are required to pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to random drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment. Candidates must sign a release authorizing the City to receive the results of any drug and alcohol tests conducted by previous employers during the past two years if those tests were required by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- One year of experience driving vehicles over 26,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight, including snow plowing experience.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of safe working practices and ability to safely operate related vehicles and equipment such as trucks, plows, and ice equipment.
- Customer service skills to be able to work effectively with diverse groups of people inside and outside the organization.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as a crew member in a team environment and interact with the public courteously.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with coworkers and citizens whose background may differ from one’s own.
- Oral communication skills to be able to explain the basics of garbage and/or recycling policies, in addition to snow/ice and leaf operations.
- Ability to monitor traffic to ensure safe conditions while working.
- Ability to read, interpret, and learn departmental rules, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret City street maps.
- Ability to make sound judgments in the field.
- Ability to follow directions and schedules.
- Ability to troubleshoot and perform minor maintenance on assigned vehicles such as check and maintain proper fluid levels, tire air pressure, and tread on tires.
The current starting salary (Pay Range 8KN) is $40,643 annually. The City of Milwaukee resident incentive salary is $41,863 annually.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2019
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral or performance tests; or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to the oral examination. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be accepted and interviews held during 2019 as often as required to meet the needs of the City. Qualified applicants will be notified by email of the date, time and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee. Employment may be possible immediately following the examination if positions are vacant at that time. The names of successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list in a rank determined by the final grade without reference to the date of the examination. The names of candidates who pass all phases of the selection process may remain on an eligible list resulting from a continuous examination for up to six months.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 803
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|