CODE ENFORCEMENT INTERN
|Requesting Department||DEPT OF NEIGHBORHOOD SRVCS|
|Open Date||3/12/2018 09:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||4/30/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Marti Cargile|
Are you seeking an entry-level opportunity wherein you can realize your full potential? Do you approach work with a service orientation and a sincere desire to interact with and help people? This unique opportunity establishes the foundation for a rewarding career in building code enforcement with the City of Milwaukee!
This is a full-time, two-year paid position with benefits that combines classroom training and on-the-job experience to prepare individuals for Code Enforcement Inspector positions. The Intern Program Curriculum described under the minimum requirements below consists of approximately 31 college credits in the fields of English, social sciences, math, computers, architecture, and code enforcement.
- Conduct surveys and inspections to identify building maintenance and other code violations. Research properties using the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access Consolidated Court Automation Program (CCAP) case management system and the Land Management System (LMS).
- Meet with residents, property owners, block clubs, and community groups to discuss initiatives to improve neighborhood conditions.
- Satisfactorily handle complaints from homeowners by phone, email, or in person.
- Document and review code violations and graffiti complaints. Take photos using a digital camera, and upload them to the computer system. Monitor and document follow-up actions.
- Prepare, organize, and maintain records of inspections and violations.
- Issue pre-inspection letters and re-inspection fees.
- Issue and enforce orders to correct violations relating to building code maintenance and other violations. Report unsecure properties. Register properties pending foreclosure.
- Attend classes, in-services, and other training sessions as prescribed by DNS.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
The Code Enforcement Intern must be willing and able to do the following:
- Perform field work in all Milwaukee neighborhoods.
- Perform interior inspections on residential properties.
- Comply with the departmental dress code.
- Climb ladders, stoop, and bend.
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- At least 18 years of age by July 1, 2018.
- Eligibility to enroll in the college-level courses included within the Intern Program Curriculum (e.g., English, social sciences, math, computers, architecture, and code enforcement) at time of appointment.
- Valid driver's license at time of application, throughout the selection process, and throughout employment. NOTE: Driver’s license number must be listed on the application.
- Good driving record at time of application, throughout the selection process, and throughout employment. NOTE: Driving records will be checked during the selection process and prior to job offer.
- Availability of a properly insured automobile for use on the job at time of appointment and throughout employment (car allowance provided).
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Ability to read and interpret the Milwaukee Code of Ordinances and other work-related documents.
- Ability to attend and successfully complete college-level courses defined in the Intern Program Curriculum.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry and make accurate calculations.
- Observational skills to make determinations regarding code compliance.
- Ability to use sound reasoning to identify conclusions.
- Written communication skills to be able to compose well-crafted correspondence and documentation.
- Oral communications skills to be able to effectively share information with residents, property owners, and community groups, both in person and by phone.
- Interpersonal skills to be able to get along with supervisors, fellow staff, and the public.
- Knowledge of customer service concepts; ability to provide excellent customer service and handle complaints appropriately.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to read body language and remain calm when working with citizens who may be upset.
- Ability to work both as a contributing team member and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn to use laptop and desktop computers, digital cameras, and mobile phones.
- Ability to read maps.
- Planning skills to be able to accomplish work under deadline; flexibility to adjust priorities as needed.
- Organizational skills to maintain accurate inspection records.
- Ability to maintain awareness of one’s surroundings and perform work in a safe manner.
- Honesty, integrity, and the careful and responsible usage of organizational resources.
- A commitment to improving neighborhood conditions throughout the city.
The current salary range (PG 3AN) for City of Milwaukee residents is $26,875-$28,701 annually, and the non-resident salary range is $26,216-$27,997.
Upon successful completion of the CEI Program, incumbents may be promoted to Code Enforcement Inspector I (PG 3GN), for which the current starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $42,539, and the non-resident starting salary is $41,495. Residential and commercial code enforcement inspection positions are career ladder positions wherein employees may advance to the next rate in the range upon certification by the Commissioner-Building Inspection of having attained the required skills, job performance, and demonstrated competencies. The City’s salary ordinance can be viewed by clicking on this link: http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/ccClerk/Ordinances/Salary/2018SalaryOrdinance03-27-18.pdf
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2018.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after
Monday, April 16, 2018 Currently extended to Monday, April 30, 2018. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|