LIBRARY CIRCULATION AIDE
|Open Date||11/2/2017 3:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/27/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
"Inspiration starts here – we help people read, learn, and connect”
-THE MILWAUKEE PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Milwaukee Public Library is committed to providing the highest quality of service to internal and external customers. In meeting this commitment, employees are expected to be knowledgeable, competent, dependable, and courteous in the performance of their job responsibilities and to work cooperatively as part of a team. The incumbent takes advantage of opportunities to build both public understanding and support for libraries within the community. Employees are expected to be adaptable in a highly dynamic work environment.
Library Circulation Aides are employed up to 20 hours per week.
On a part-time basis, Library Circulation Aides perform general clerical duties including shelving, shelf-reading, shifting library materials, limited circulation services at customer service desks and assistance with opening and closing procedures.
- Verify, sort, and shelve materials from the returns desk, book drops, sorters, and acquisitions.
- Read shelves to maintain proper order; shift and straighten collections as space requires.
- Process materials for and from delivery.
- Search for and retrieve materials to fill hold requests.
- Staff customer service desk; answer the telephone and transfer calls to appropriate staff members; answer inquiries from patrons regarding directions; answer general information inquiries regarding library events and services.
- Check in and check out library materials.
- Troubleshoot radio frequency identification tag problems upon check in of materials; conduct self-checks.
- Assist the patron with their Library accounts, item searches, and self-service resources, including the computer kiosks and CountyCat access.
- Assist with opening and closing routines (i.e., turn various electrical equipment on or off, straighten work area, and change daters.)
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to transport up to 20 lbs.
- Work hours are primarily during evenings and weekends – although daytime hours may be available – on a year round basis.
At least 16 years of age at time of application.
Current enrollment as a high school student OR college or technical school student for a minimum of three credits per semester at time of application and throughout employment. NOTE: Proof of student status is required and must be received by the application period closing date. A copy of your school transcript should be attached to your online application. Applications without proof of student status attached will be rejected. Your documents must be legible and include the following information: the high school or college name, your name, number of credits (if applicable) and be current as of the fall semester 2017. Individuals must maintain student status to be eligible for employment as Library Circulation Aides.
Persons employed as Library Circulation Aides must be available to work the schedule of hours required by the Library in order to serve the needs of the public.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Ability to use tact and to exercise good judgment in customer service interactions.
- Ability to demonstrate proper telephone etiquette in the process of serving customers.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of library patrons and various levels of library staff members in order to maintain a harmonious atmosphere.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to read and understand work related documents such as policies, procedures, and reports.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Knowledge of basic mathematics and the ability to make accurate calculations related to cash handling and the payment of fines.
- Ability to accurately and efficiently perform both general and detailed library clerical work.
- Ability to file and arrange items in proper numerical and alphabetical order.
- Ability to perform manual work to shift and straighten collections in order to organize and maintain the library.
- Ability to complete work assignments in a timely manner.
- Ability to learn and use standard computer software programs.
- Ability to be prompt, reliable, and maintain good attendance.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will consist of a job-related written examination weighted 100%. The written examination will measure the following knowledge, skills, and abilities that are necessary to do the work of a Library Circulation Aide: filing, interpreting job-related material, public relations, and interpersonal skills.
The examination will be held as soon as practical after November 27, 2017. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified by mail of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 605
“The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.”