OFFICE ASSISTANT III
|Requesting Department||DER - OPERATIONS DIVISION|
|Open Date||6/18/2020 07:15:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/9/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
**THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO CURRENT CITY OF MILWAUKEE EMPLOYEES ONLY**
- Answer telephone calls at the front desk.
- Answer questions and/or route calls to the appropriate area.
- Use a multi-line telephone system to put calls on hold, transfer calls, set up conference calls, etc.
- Call intra and interdepartmental staff members to find answers to inquiries.
- Assist walk-in visitors such as job-seekers, mail carriers, meeting attendees, interviewees, current employees and more.
- Explain and assist walk-ins with the online application process.
- Scan documentation for I-9s on to a flash drive as new employees arrive, file temporary employee folders, collect and sort mail, monitor the personnel action form e-mail, process and file personnel action forms, coordinate necessities for ne DER employees (i.e. name plate, badge, network access, e-mail accounts, etc.).
- Compile and mail self-service passwords to new employees.
- Participate in administering and tracking of pre-placement activities.
- Provide general administrative support to the Staffing Division.
- Create and label new employee folders; fill the folders with the OK to hire, job application, pension form, and statement of understanding.
- Maintain filing system of current and past employee files to include, filing folders in active filing cabinets and move inactive folders to inactive filing cabinets.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Regular status as City of Milwaukee employee, having successfully completed a probationary period for a civil service position.
- Two years of office support experience coordinating and working on a variety of clerical assignments related to the essential functions listed above.
Equivalent combinations of education, training and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of providing outstanding customer service to individuals of all backgrounds.
- Ability to consistently handle a high volume of telephone calls and customer inquiries.
- Ability to listen well and work harmoniously in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate verbally with culturally diverse individuals at all levels within and outside the organization.
- Ability to remain calm and professional when serving upset customers in person and over the phone.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced setting.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word processing, and spreadsheet software to create documents.
- Ability to learn proprietary software programs.
- Keyboarding and data entry skills.
- Ability to accurately maintain numerical and alphabetical filing systems.
- Ability to use office equipment such as scanners, copiers, fax machines, and telephones.
- Ability to read work-related documents such as job announcement, policies and procedures.
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to interact with the public with tact and diplomacy.
- Honesty, integrity, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to understand and appropriately provide services in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Ability to work effectively and positively with co-workers and City employees.
- Ability to remain professional at all times.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral, performance tests or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
NOTE: Transfer/Promotional Opportunities and Promotional Examinations are not open to Milwaukee Public Schools employees or to the public. Only current City of Milwaukee employees and civilian personnel in MFD and MPD hired through a City Service Commission process who have successfully passed a probationary period for a Civil Service position will be considered. Individuals with exempt, provisional, temporary, or emergency appointments are not eligible for transfer.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.