HEALTH PROJECT COORDINATOR
Women, Infant and Children Nutritional Program
|Requesting Department||HEALTH-PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICES|
|Open Date||6/23/2020 09:55:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/7/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
*THIS POSITION IS FOR CURRENT CITY OF MILWAUKEE EMPLOYEES ONLY.*
Transfer/Promotional Opportunities and Promotional Examinations are not open to Milwaukee Public Schools employees or to the public. Only current non-probationary City of Milwaukee employees and civilian personnel in MFD and MPD hired through a City Service Commission process will be considered. Individuals with exempt, provisional, temporary or emergency appointments are not eligible for transfer.
The Health Project Coordinator- Women, Infants and Children Nutritional Program (WIC) provides day-to-day coordination of the WIC clinic operations and breastfeeding support services including effectively leading staff development, program coordination and evaluation, and developing and monitoring program goals. The incumbent in this position will provide support, training, mentoring, consultation, and supervision to Clinical Assistants and volunteers (i.e. Breastfeeding Peer Counselors).
Program Administration and Staff Supervision
- Assist with the development, integration, monitoring and achievement of programmatic goals, objectives and outcomes for the WIC program.
- Ensure implementation of and compliance with the State WIC Operations and System Manuals related to nutrition, breastfeeding, and clinical operations.
- Ensure WIC staff correctly issue WIC benefits and enter certification data/care plans into the Real-time Online Statewide Information Environment (ROSIE) web-based software system.
- Assist program management team with overall WIC clinical operations, including site preparation, communications, and staff coverage; apprise the WIC Program Manager relative to staffing matters.
- Provide program supervision and evaluation to Clinic Assistants and Breastfeeding Peer Counselors; facilitate methods for ongoing assessment of staff developmental needs.
- Institute quality assurance measures within the program to assure consistency of services.
- Conduct annual chart reviews and performance evaluations for WIC nutrition and clinical staff; train and mentor students and interns on nutrition and breastfeeding concepts.
- Administer and oversee Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program; train and evaluate peer staff and conduct annual chart reviews.
Client and Nutrition Education Services
- Perform complete WIC certifications, including intake/registration, anthropometric measurement, hemoglobin testing, nutritional/breastfeeding assessment, counseling, benefit issuance, immunization assessment, and referral to community agencies.
- Conduct nutrition and breastfeeding counseling and follow-up for high-risk participants.
- Support nutritionists in providing a thorough assessment and appropriate support of long-term breastfeeding and/or nutrition plans and educational needs.
- Ensure that the appropriate food prescriptions are issued to breastfeeding women and infants.
- Ensure that breastfeeding education and support is offered to all pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Ensure outreach is conducted to nonparticipating, eligible families.
- Review ROSIE breastfeeding reports for the assessment and planning of breastfeeding services.
- Participate in community coalitions, task forces, and advisory committees that affect services to WIC-eligible families.
- Identify, support and maintain primary partners around healthy pregnancy and birth outcomes, infant mortality reduction, clinic services and home visiting service delivery.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with community partners.
- Provide professional expertise to related MHD projects, proposals and undertakings.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
The Health Project Coordinator-WIC be able to:
- Report to all City of Milwaukee WIC clinic locations; work assignments and reporting locations may be adjusted on short notice to provide staff coverage during unexpected absences or emergency situations.
- Participate in a work schedule that includes early evening hours on assigned days. The current hours of work for this position are as follows: M, TU, W, and F, 8:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m.; TH, 10:30 a.m.-7:00p.m.
- Lift and move 25 pounds, including lifting small children onto measuring apparatus such as scales.
- Travel outside the City of Milwaukee, occasionally overnight, for training purposes or for participating in meetings representing the City.
- Regular status as a City of Milwaukee employee, having successfully completed a probationary period for a civil service position.
- Bachelor’s degree in dietetics, nutritional sciences, or a health-related field from an accredited college or university.
- Two years of supervisory, lead worker or program coordination experience performing duties closely related to the essential functions listed above.
- Certified Lactation Counselor® (CLC) certification within one year of appointment, and throughout employment.
- Valid driver's license and use of a properly insured automobile* for use on the job at time of appointment and throughout employment. (*Automobile allowance is provided.)
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered; i.e. an associate’s degree in dietetics, nutritional sciences, or health related field from an accredited college or university and two years of full-time, related experience would be considered equivalent to the bachelor’s degree in item #2 above.
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order for college to be considered, college transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Hmong.
- Registered dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
- Registration as a Certified Lactation Counselor® (CLC).
- Specialized training in lactation management and care.
- WIC management experience.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art practices in the field of nutrition, breast feeding, and public health.
- Knowledge of WIC programmatic operations and procedures in order to ensure proper program implementation and compliance.
- Supervisory skills, including the ability set objectives, make assignments and delegate tasks, direct work, train, mentor, and evaluate staff.
- Ability to build an effective team.
- Proficiency using standard computer software applications including word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and email applications.
- Ability to learn and utilize specialized software such as the Real-time Online Statewide Information Environment (ROSIE) web-based software system in order to track WIC data.
- Ability to read and interpret work-related documents.
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with multidisciplinary and multicultural staff members, clients, city officials, and community groups.
- Written communication skills including the ability to write concise reports and correspondence.
- Ability to communicate effectively with culturally diverse individuals at all levels within and outside the organization.
- Ability to present information before groups of clients, employees and community groups.
- Ability to identify and build relationships with community organizations and agencies.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one's own.
- Ability to manage projects, including the ability to delegate.
- Ability to provide services in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Time management skills, organizational skills, and the ability to be flexible within a changeable work schedule and environment.
- Ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced setting.
- Good judgment, trustworthiness, dependability, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Commitment to the promotion of health and the prevention of disease.
- Commitment to staying abreast of current best practices in the field of nutrition and breast-feeding.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Milwaukee Health Department reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral or performance tests or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The selection process will be held as soon as practical after the application deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the selection process at the time and place designated by the Department of Employee Relations and/or the hiring authority.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above. If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|