PROGRAM ASSISTANT I
Women, Infant and Children Nutrition Program
|Requesting Department||HEALTH-PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICES|
|Open Date||2/14/2020 1:25:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/28/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
~THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO CURRENT CITY OF MILWAUKEE EMPLOYEES ONLY~
Under the direction of the Women, Infant and Children (WIC) Program Manager, the Program Assistant I provides high-quality, efficient administrative support and assists management to ensure compliance with program policies and procedures within the WIC program.
- Provide administrative support to WIC program management, Clinic Assistants, Dietetic Technicians, and Nutritionists (RD).
- Assist the Health Project Coordinator-WIC by ensuring the timely distribution of WIC appointment reminders, distribution and response to all mail and/or faxes, and compliance with clinic cleaning and upkeep.
- Ensure supplies are maintained, including ordering, stocking, and providing inventory control of clerical, medical, and nutrition supplies.
- Facilitate quality, efficient and direct clinic services for WIC program participants by answering phone calls; scheduling appointments; verifying personal identification, income eligibility and residency information; assuring the validity and availability of completed screening consent forms; and troubleshooting participant issues with WIC benefits.
- Disseminate relevant service information and provide follow-up on participant referrals.
- Using clinic flow and Q-matic, generate reports of clinic activities and communicate results to staff at morning and all-staff meetings.
- Assist in the daily administration of special grant-funded projects such as the Dual Protection Partnership Initiative (DPPI), Lead Testing, Fit Families program, and WIC program quality improvement initiatives.
- Fulfill and maintain WIC program invoices under the direction of the WIC Program Manager.
- Coordinate staff training for administrative roles and applicable student and/or internship experiences within the MHD WIC.
- Provide technical support to the WIC program staff, including maintaining and troubleshooting program database issues and making meeting arrangements involving room scheduling and audio/visual set-up.
- Assist in coordinating staff meetings and annual employee training activities; lead daily morning staff meetings, assist in coordinating WIC outreach activities.
- Fulfill requests for medical records according to MHD and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) guidelines.
- Collaborate with other MHD programs, community partners, and outside agencies to provide outreach events and WIC program information to the public, and assist in providing administrative support and staffing for WIC program sponsored events.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
The Program Assistant I must be willing and able to do the following:
- Work early evening hours on assigned days. The current hours of work for this position are as follows: M, TU, W, and F, 8:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m.; TH, 10:30 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
- Report to WIC clinics at various health center locations, occasionally on short notice.
- Exert up to 25 pounds of force occasionally to lift and move objects.
- Regular status as City of Milwaukee employee, having successfully completed a probationary period for a civil service position.
- Four years of progressively responsible administrative support experience performing duties closely related to this position.
- Valid driver’s license and availability of a properly insured personal automobile for use on the job at the time of employment and throughout employment (car allowance provided).
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include the following information: the university or college name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date the degree was completed. Student copies are acceptable.
- One year of WIC program or maternal/child health experience.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of principles and practices of office administration including customer service best practices and records management.
- Ability to learn public health practices related to the WIC program such as maternal/child nutrition and the health benefits of breastfeeding.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
- Proficiency in using standard computer software programs such as word processing, spreadsheet, and databases.
- Ability to efficiently utilize office equipment, including telephones, computers, copiers, fax machines; and provide audio/visual equipment set-up for meetings.
- Ability to read and understand work-related documents.
- Knowledge of proper English language conventions, including spelling, grammar and punctuation, to be able to write and edit correspondence.
- Skill in producing routine correspondence, spreadsheets, and reports using standard software programs, as well as the ability to enter data accurately and maintain databases.
- Ability to learn and use specialized departmental software applications.
- Ability to assist with the compilation of statistical data and report creation.
- Listening, oral communication, presentation, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to exhibit patience and professionalism and exercise good judgment when working with a multicultural, multidisciplinary team, community partners, outside agencies, MHD clients and the public.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member.
- Ability to maintain physical and electronic filing systems.
- Ability to manage complex processes with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize tasks in order to meet deadlines for completion.
- Ability to work with sensitive information.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, in a busy setting and within tight time constraints.
- Honesty, integrity, and the ability to maintain complete confidentiality.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Milwaukee Health Department reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral, performance tests or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
NOTE: Transfer/Promotional Opportunities and Promotional Examinations are not open to Milwaukee Public Schools employees or to the public. Only current City of Milwaukee employees and civilian personnel in MFD and MPD hired through a City Service Commission process who have successfully passed a probationary period for a Civil Service position will be considered. Individuals with exempt, provisional, temporary, or emergency appointments are not eligible for transfer.
- APPLICATIONS and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|