IT SUPPORT ASSOCIATE
|Requesting Department||DOA - INFO & TECH MGT DIV|
|Open Date||2/5/2020 3:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/26/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee brings together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
- Assist in the administration of computer help desk operations, including the configuration, operation and support of City servers.
- Identify, troubleshoot and resolve problems with network systems, office automation systems and system configuration.
- Assist in the maintenance of inventory and warranty records for all computer equipment, software and peripherals, and schedule warranty repairs as needed.
- Prepare new hardware and software for use and install such systems.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
- Associate degree in computer science, information systems management, automated systems development.
2. Two years’ of experience in desktop support and troubleshooting/repair of computers and printers.
3. A combination of school and experience, such as one year of technical school, and one year of experience in desktop support and troubleshooting/repair of computers and printers.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- Microsoft certifications or other job-related certifications.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge and familiarity with Windows operating systems such as Windows XP, 7, 8, or 10.
- Knowledge of help desk support techniques such as how to install and configure printers and how to check networks for connection.
- Familiarity with anti-virus software such as McAfee, Norton or Trend Micro.
- Ability to support Microsoft Office products such as Office 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- Ability to read and interpret work-related documents.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions, both written and verbal.
- Customer service skills to effectively assist various users across all levels of the organization.
- Oral communication skills to effectively communicate with citizens, staff, city officials, and outside agencies.
- Ability to operate a computer, keyboard, mouse and other computer components.
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair computers, printers and other office equipment.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical information in an understandable way to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to analyze technical situations and develop and implement an effective solutions.
- Written communication skills, including the ability to accurately and consistently record information.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to be diplomatic and tactful when dealing with customers.
- Ability to remain professional at all times.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy.
- Honesty and integrity.
The starting salary (PG 5GN) $42,185 annually, and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $42,858.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical Wednesday, February 26, 2020. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.