ENGINEERING DRAFTING TECHNICIAN I & II
|Open Date||9/6/2019 4:30:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
What Milwaukee can offer YOU
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
Under the direction of the Management Civil Engineer Senior, the Engineering Drafting Technician performs computer-aided drafting of construction plans related to roadway paving, sewer construction, street lighting, traffic signals, underground conduit systems, water systems and other mapping/drawing-related functions.
Eligible candidates who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the highest level eligible list for which they qualify.
- Utilize Microstation to produce technical drawings of the following: quarter sections, vacations, paving, water and sewer, traffic signals, street lighting circuit maps, underground conduit and easements; perform other mapping functions.
- Compute mathematical calculations such as distances, areas, angles, and dimensions.
- Maintain city records for sewers, street lighting, traffic signals and underground conduit.
- Support the Digger’s Hotline by responding to customer inquiries.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Engineering Drafting Technician I and Engineering Drafting Technician II:
1. One year of drafting experience using AutoCAD or MicroStation.
Successful completion of two semesters of high school and/or college-level drafting coursework.
2. Valid Wisconsin driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Engineering Drafting Technician II:
3. Two years of civil engineering drafting experience.
NOTE: College-level engineering curriculum courses, for which an average grade equivalent to “C” was earned, may be substituted for up to one (1) year of the required experience. Substitution will be made on the basis of five (5) credits equals three (3) months of experience and no substitution will be made for fewer than five (5) credits.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for coursework in AutoCAD or MicroStation, transcripts are required and must be received by the application filing deadline. High school and/or college transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include the following information: the high school, university or college name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date the degree was completed. Student copies are acceptable.
NOTE: The Engineering Drafting Technician I is the entry-level position of the Engineering Drafting Technician promotional series. Promotion to the next level, Engineering Drafting Technician II, is possible after two years of experience as Engineering Drafting Technician I OR proof of two years of engineering experience OR successful completion of one year of college-level engineering-related curriculum and one year of civil engineering drafting experience.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
- Coursework in Civil Engineering Technology either at the high school or college level.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of drafting techniques, including computer aided drafting programs.
- Knowledge of algebra, geometry and trigonometry to compute various calculations such as angles, curves, triangles, circles, radii, percentages, fractions, square footage, distances, areas, and dimensions.
- Skill in using AutoCAD and/or MicroStation to produce technical drawings.
- Written communication skills in order to effectively create business correspondence and reports.
- Oral communication skills in order to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Interpersonal skills to develop and maintain working relationships with a diverse group of co-workers.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with coworkers and citizens whose background may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to handle multiple projects with varying and often tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
Engineering Drafting Technician I: The current starting salary (Pay Range 3BN) for City of Milwaukee residents is $33,102 and for non-residents is $32,290 annually.
Engineering Drafting Technician II: The current starting salary (Pay Range 3FN) for City of Milwaukee residents is $38,508 and for non-residents is $37,563 annually.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2019.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job. Note: Successful candidates will be placed on either the Engineering Drafting Technician I or the Engineering Drafting Technician II eligible list, based upon their respective qualifications.
This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be accepted and interviews held as often as required to meet the needs of the City. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee. The names of successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list in a rank determined by the final score without reference to the date of the examination. The names of candidates who pass all phases of the selection process may remain on an eligible list resulting from a continuous examination for up to six months.
Candidates may take an examination for this position only once every six months.
- Applications and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations, call 414.286.3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|