|Open Date||6/5/2019 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/19/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
** THIS POSITION IS FOR CURRENT CITY OF MILWAUKEE EMPLOYEES ONLY. **
Transfer/Promotional Opportunities and Promotional Examinations are not open to Milwaukee Public Schools employees or to the public. Only current non-probationary City of Milwaukee employees and civilian personnel in MFD and MPD hired through a City Service Commission process will be considered. Individuals with exempt, provisional, temporary or emergency appointments are not eligible for transfer.
- Manage and direct staff for the preparation of contract documents including plans, specifications, calculations and final design for installation, alteration, maintenance and replacement of MWW facilities.
- Ensure that final documents adhere to City and professional design standards.
- Manage and direct the staff for preparation of easements, requests for quotes, requests for qualifications, requests for proposals, etc.
- Manage and direct staff for the preparation of scopes of work, preliminary engineering documents, estimates, etc. Review engineering documents prepared by outside consultant/contractors.
- Collaborate with other MWW sections on projects.
- Ensure compliance with standards associated with the practice of the engineering profession.
- Maintain up-to-date design schedules for major projects related to MWW to ensure timely completion within budget.
- Manage Engineering staff by assigning and overseeing projects, and capital budget priorities, and maintaining water maps, as-builts, drawings and other records.
- Ensure proper engineering methods and lead research on emerging technologies in the water field.
- Assign staff to inspect active construction projects.
- Ensure that inspection reports are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Supervise and direct the preparation of change orders when appropriate.
- Review and recommend actions on requests for payments.
- Maintain project schedule for each active construction project.
- Supervise and direct the completion of as-built documents and final quantities.
- Coordinate and collaborate construction activities with Plant section so as not to disrupt Plant operations and staffing.
- Maintain communication throughout complex projects, punch list requirements, and all warranties.
- Manage and coordinate the publication and assembly of official documents for MWW projects.
- Coordinate with Department of Public Works (DPW) for the advertising, bidding, and award of contracts.
- Serve as representative during official bid openings.
- Review and recommend action on pay requests.
- Manage the contract work of outside firms working in and on MWW property.
- Manage the safekeeping and storage of the records, documents, plans, maps, as-builts, and warranties of the MWW as they pertain to MWW facilities.
- Manage staff by assigning work, monitoring progress and providing direct supervision to various Engineering, Engineering Technician and Engineering Drafting Technician positions for day-to-day work activities.
- Train and seek opportunities for training with regard to development of staff.
- Manage, direct and evaluate staff needs related to performance and job safety.
- Manage and direct staff for the preparation of research studies, testing of materials, and reports related to MWW facilities.
- Ensure compliance with all City, DPW and MWW policies, procedures and work rules. Recommend discipline, if necessary.
- Manage and direct resources to ensure that assigned duties consider appropriate workloads to aid in the completion of projects on time and within budget.
- Review for accuracy and approve payroll entries of staff. Ensure that all backup documentation is submitted.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS PROGRAM (CIP)
- Manage capital budget as assigned.
- Complete both preliminary and final estimates for annual and six-year programs when requested.
- Collaborate with other MWW sections in planning for future CIP projects.
- Maintain documentation for all engineering estimates.
- Collaborate with Engineering section manager when adjustments in work priorities are merited.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008
Conditions of Employment
- Must respond to after-hours emergencies in all types of weather
- Current status as a regularly appointed City of Milwaukee employee having passed probation for current position held.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from a program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Wisconsin at time of appointment and throughout employment.
- Five years of experience in the design and/or construction of engineering project management required including at least one year as a Civil Engineer III, Mechanical Engineer III, or Electrical Engineer III or higher.
- Valid driver's license at time of appointment and throughout employment*. (*Automobile allowance is provided.)
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable), and the date completed.
- Masters Degree in Engineering.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of water hydraulics, water main materials and sizing for a multiple pressure zone distribution system.
- Knowledge of basic water treatment processes.
- Knowledge of CAD to understand and interpret engineering drawings.
- Knowledge of management practices and principles to effectively manage direct reports.
- Knowledge of project management practices.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively develop and maintain working relationships with a variety of individuals including the public, contractors, elected officials, co-workers and management.
- Verbal communication skills to effectively provide clear, accurate and concise instructions to employees and present information to various individuals and groups including within the organization, the public and elected officials.
- Written communication skills to prepare business correspondence and technical reports.
- Effective listening and negotiating skills to work efficiently and effectively with contractors and others.
- Ability to work well under pressure and within deadlines.
- Ability to accomplish goals in a changing environment.
- Ability to review, analyze and prepare technical reports and studies.
- Ability to proficiently use computer programs such as Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Microstation/AutoCAD and the internet.
- Ability to handle emergency situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Ability to collaborate for the successful completion of projects in the best interest of the utility and its customers.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Milwaukee Water Works reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral or performance tests or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The selection process will be held as soon as practical after the application deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the selection process at the time and place designated by the Department of Employee Relations and/or the hiring authority.
- Applications and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.