SANITATION AREA MANAGER
|Open Date||5/9/2019 4:45:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/28/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
**THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO CURRENT CITY OF MILWAUKEE EMPLOYEES ONLY**
- Assist the Sanitation Services Manager (SSM) in the administration and coordination of field operations and in the development and evaluation of work practices, procedures, systems, and policies for continuous improvement and organizational alignment.
- Manage, direct, and monitor the staff coordinating the daily operations of the assigned sanitation area to meet the goals and objectives of the section.
- Respond to complaints, questions, and concerns from citizens, elected officials, and other stakeholders, taking appropriate action for resolution in a responsive and professional manner. Initiate quick resolutions as appropriate to the situation.
- Interview and hire non-supervisory field personnel, and conduct orientation programs for all new and promoted employees; provide a safe, inclusive learning environment for all employees.
- Provide training opportunities, conduct performance appraisals, and conduct monthly staff meetings to share information and to obtain constructive feedback.
- Meet with all employees periodically to provide communication forums to answer questions, share information, and receive suggestions.
- Initiate and direct effective emergency operations such as snow and ice control, responses to floods, windstorms, or other emergency conditions.
- Coordinate with other DPW sections for adequate staffing and equipment to ensure public safety.
- Provide detailed and accurate communication to the management team.
- Coordinate with internal and external resources to manage and maintain sanitation facilities and equipment, including self-help centers, transfer stations, and district offices.
- Represent the department on work groups, at public hearings, and at community and neighborhood meetings; provide information to educate the public on City programs and services.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Must perform oversight and provide management direction for snow and ice control duty and emergency events.
- Must work various shifts and extended hours, including weekends and holidays, during the winter season.
- Must work in all types of weather conditions.
- Must be physically able to lift and move up to 10 pounds unassisted on occasion.
- Regular status as City of Milwaukee employee, having successfully completed a probationary period for a civil service position.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, management, environmental studies, occupational health and safety, transportation and logistics, project management, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of related experience in municipal management, overseeing personnel and managing workloads, schedules, and multiple operations with varying priorities.
- Valid State of Wisconsin Driver’s License at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of current practices and procedures and emerging trends related to the collection and proper disposal of waste.
- Knowledge of municipal and state solid waste and recycling ordinances.
- Knowledge of safety regulations and safe worker practices.
- Knowledge of snow and ice control methods and techniques for a large City.
- Ability to manage snow and ice control operations with a calculated, dynamic approach.
- Knowledge of City of Milwaukee streets, neighborhoods, boundaries, and special conditions and locations important to daily and emergency operations.
- Knowledge of industry-relevant technologies such as geographic information systems, mobile work order systems, and fleet routing software.
- Proficiency using standard computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and database.
- Leadership and supervisory skills; ability to assign duties, set performance standards, monitor work in progress, evaluate performance, and make hiring recommendations.
- Training and motivational skills; ability to provide guidance and to coach team members to success.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Oral communication and presentation skills in order to positively represent the department to groups both large and small.
- Written communication skills, including the ability to prepare clear and concise correspondence and reports.
- Interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with other City managers, elected officials, staff, direct reports, and outside parties.
- Customer focus and a dedication to exceptional service delivery; ability to interact with citizens in a courteous, tactful, and concerned manner.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with people whose backgrounds may differ from one's own.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work to achieve objectives within deadlines.
- Dedication and willingness to respond to the department’s emergency response efforts.
- Ability to remain calm when working in stressful situations.
- Ability to represent the department with professionalism, honesty, and integrity.
- Commitment to professional development and staying abreast of best practices in solid waste and recycling.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job-related and will consist of one or more of the following: evaluation(s) of related education, experience, and accomplishments, written test(s), interview(s), or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Department of Public Works reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral exams, performance tests, or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
INITIAL FILING DATE. The examination will be held as soon as practical after Tuesday, May 28, 2019. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
NOTE: Transfer/Promotional Opportunities and Promotional Examinations are not open to Milwaukee Public Schools employees or to the public. Only current non-probationary City of Milwaukee employees and civilian personnel in MFD and MPD hired through a City Service Commission process will be considered. Individuals with exempt, provisional, temporary or emergency appointments are not eligible for transfer/promotional opportunities.
- Applications and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO Code = 101
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|