CUSTODIAL WORKER II-C L
|Open Date||5/23/2019 3:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/14/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
Note: The eligible list resulting from this examination may be used to fill similar City of Milwaukee positions in the Department of Public Works Facilities Division, Milwaukee Public Library, or Milwaukee Police Department (MPD).
2019 Custodial Worker II - Recruitment:
Tentative Application close date:
Tentative Written Exam date:
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Friday, June 14, 2019
Thursday, June 27, 2019
- General cleaning, including biohazard cleanup, mopping, dusting, sweeping; wash walls, windows and ceilings; collect trash, sort recyclables, clean entrance mats; clean and sanitize showers, locker rooms and toilet facilities.
- Floor care, including washing, stripping and waxing floors; operate floor care equipment, such as buffing or scrubbing machines.
- Move objects including furniture, floor care equipment and recycling carts. Unload trailers using pallet jacks to move loaded pallets.
- Maintain, check and deliver supplies and equipment.
- Maintain light fixtures, including bulb replacement and fixture cleaning.
- Minor maintenance duties including painting, lock maintenance and ceiling tile replacement.
- Maintain the grounds around facilities including mowing, weeding, raking, trimming grass, bushes and trees; snow removal including salting, plowing and shoveling; pick up litter and perform general plant care.
- Perform minor repairs and general cleaning to custodial floor equipment, vacuums and power equipment such as changing oil, filling with gas and lubrication.
- Utilize related computer software such as Facility Dude, maintenance work order systems, Microsoft Office products, e-mail and online timesheet entry.
- Assist with training new employees including demonstrating the correct use of cleaning chemicals and job related equipment; exhibit safe work practices and procedures.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Subject to working weekends, holidays, 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds without assistance.
- Must be able to work from ladders at heights of up to 15 feet.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the job including frequent standing, walking, twisting, bending, climbing stairs, lifting and pushing items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must pass a Milwaukee Police Department background investigation prior to hire in the MPD.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
- Experience performing duties closely related to the above functions in the capacity of a building engineer, custodian or janitor.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of cleaning, maintenance and other basic custodial responsibilities.
- Ability to perform minor landscaping tasks.
- Ability to follow instructions, rules and safety guidelines.
- Ability to read and interpret maintenance work orders and other job related forms.
- Ability to safely use equipment, supplies and chemicals required by the position.
- Ability to operate job-related tools, mechanical appliances, snow removal equipment, lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners, floor strippers, buffers, polishers and other wheeled and mechanized equipment.
- Ability to utilize various software programs including Facility Dude, Microsoft Office, and work order programs.
- Ability to work and communicate with supervisors and other staff as an effective team member.
- Ability to interact diplomatically and tactfully with the general public.
The current starting salary (PG 8DN) for City of Milwaukee residents is $36,480 annually, and the non-resident starting salary is $35,585.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2019.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the Application Deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO Code= 801
“The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.”