POLICE FACILITIES ASSISTANT MANAGER
|Requesting Department||Milwaukee Police Department|
|Open Date||5/3/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||5/28/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Marti Cargile|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
Under the direction of the Police Facilities Manager, the Police Facilities Assistant Manager assists the Manager with the supervision of maintenance, operations, and repairs of Milwaukee Police Department (MPD) facilities and fleet operations.
- Provide direct supervision of custodial, maintenance, fleet service, printing, and stores supervisors – and indirect supervision of staff – in addition to contractors.
- Coordinate the planning and organizing of work schedules and assignments for routine, emergency, and preventive maintenance as well as custodial activities.
- Assist in the oversight of the Printing and Stores Section and the Fleet Services Section.
- Use and maintain automated building management and work order management computer software.
- Obtain estimates, issue contracts, and oversee all minor repair work performed by outside contractors or City trades personnel.
- Prepare specifications for service contracts, and oversee the procurement and inventory of supplies, repair parts, and equipment required for Division operations.
- Manage the inventory of keys for all Police Department facilities.
- Assist with administrative functions such as payroll, annual budget development, and oversight of various capital improvement projects.
- Periodically inspect the physical condition and operating efficiency of the buildings and their systems.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
The Police Facilities Assistant Manager must be willing and able to do the following:
- Work outside regular business hours on occasion, including being available to be on call during emergencies.
- Perform medium physical work, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and 10-20 pounds frequently to move objects; perform work that includes stooping and kneeling.
- Work indoors, including in loading docks and garages, that may include exposure to odors and dust.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, facilities management, architecture, or a closely-related field from an accredited college or university.
- Three years of supervisory experience in facilities management, building operations, or infrastructure renovation and repair performing duties related to the essential functions.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of training and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcripts must be legible and include your name, the university name, the degree completed, and the degree completion date.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer or Architect in the State of Wisconsin.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of the tools, equipment, and methods involved in commercial building construction, repair, and preventive maintenance.
- Knowledge of and commitment to accident prevention and safety.
- Knowledge of facilities management practices.
- Knowledge of mathematics and the ability to assist with purchasing and budget preparation.
- Ability to use computers, including facilities management and maintenance applications and word processing and spreadsheet software.
- General knowledge of fleet management operations.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Ability to read and interpret job-related documents, policies and procedures, blueprints, plans, and technical specifications.
- Ability to prepare well-written correspondence, specifications, and reports.
- Interpersonal skills to be able to thrive in a quasi-military environment working with sworn and non-sworn staff, other City officials and staff, vendors, and the public.
- Ability to work cooperatively with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Supervisory skills, including the ability to assign duties, direct and inspect work, assess performance, provide on-the-job training and coaching, recommend corrective action as needed, and participate in hiring processes.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple vendors, contractors, and consultants.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS:
- Planning, analytical, and decision-making skills to be able to establish priorities and ensure effective utilization of personnel and resources.
- Organizational skills to be able to effectively manage and complete complex projects.
- Ability to think independently and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, to serve with professionalism, honesty, and integrity, and to exercise responsible stewardship of City resources.
The current salary range (Pay Range 1EX) for City of Milwaukee residents is $58,462-$81,844 annually, and the non-resident salary range is $57,028-$79,836. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2019#.XBrIQE2ot6A.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relation and the Milwaukee Police Department reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Candidates must undergo and pass a background investigation prior to appointment.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after
Friday, May 24, 2019 Tuesday, May 28, 2019 (FINAL DEADLINE). Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
NOTE: Candidates must pass a Milwaukee Police Department background investigation before hire.
- Applications and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO Code = 103
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|