ENGINEERING INSPECTION ASST
|Open Date||12/21/2018 3:45:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/18/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
THIS IS A FIXED TERM POSITION (SUMMER INTERNSHIP)
- Assist in the process of checking the transfer of line and grade.
- Assist measuring, recording and making computations of data collected on construction sites.
- Assist on pre-construction surveys.
- Input data for maintaining the City of Milwaukee Road Life files.
- Draw sketches of work in progress or completed work for City construction projects.
- Assist in the distribution of notices to property owners around construction sites.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to work outdoors in variable weather conditions for extended periods of time and may include climbing and descending into excavations.
- Current enrollment in a public works inspection, pre-civil engineering, civil engineering, construction management or other closely related program at an accredited college or university, having successfully completed some college level coursework in math and engineering related studies.
- Valid driver’s license and availability of a properly insured vehicle at the time of appointment and throughout employment.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include the following information: the university or college name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date the degree was completed. Student copies are acceptable.
- Knowledge of methods used in roadway and underground utilities construction.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Ability to use measurement tools related to pre-construction surveying and checking transfer of line and grade on construction sites.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to read blueprints and construction plans.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Ability to follow directions in both oral and in written forms.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations related to field construction work.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work assignments by required deadlines.
The current starting hourly rate (PR 9NN) is $13.15 per hour for City of Milwaukee residents. The current starting non-resident hourly rate is $12.83 per hour.
Sophomores, juniors and seniors may be appointed up to $15.63 per hour for City of Milwaukee residents or $15.25 per hour for non-residents.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the Application Deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 605
“The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.”