Compensation plans are based on a multi-step progression system. The pay range reflects the entry level and maximum salary potential in the assigned pay grade.
**A starting salary may be negotiated and will be commensurate with education, training and experience in alignment with pay administration policies and MCCP Board Rules & Regulations**
Nature of Work
Upon hire, new employees are appointed provisionally as Firefighter Trainees and will begin the Montgomery Fire Department's (MFD) Recruit School. During Recruit School, Firefighter Trainees must complete the physical and coursework requirements as well as follow all applicable rules and regulations. Firefighter Trainees must adhere to strict rules on physical fitness, dress code and appearance while in school. Appearance includes strict hair and shaving guidelines as set by the Montgomery Fire Academy. Trainees will also assist the department in normal Firefighter duties listed below but will do so under close supervision during their Recruit School training period. Upon completion of all Recruit School requirements, Firefighter Trainees will be appointed to the Firefighter classification and will serve a six (6) month probationary period before becoming permanent employees. All work is performed under the direct supervision of a Station or Training Division Lieutenant or Captain.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Applicants shall be at least 18 years of age at the time of employment.
- Employment with the City of Montgomery is conditioned upon the potential employee passing a pre-employment drug test. (The drug test will require the submission of a sample of hair, finger nails, and/or urine that will verify illegal drug use.)
- Must possess a diploma from a high school accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the Alabama State Board of Education or possess a General Education Development (GED) certificate. NOTE: A passing GPA from an S.A.C.S. accredited college or university may substitute for the S.A.C.S. accredited high school diploma or GED certificate requirement. This does not include internet colleges or trade school coursework.
- Must be of good moral character and have no record of convictions of a misdemeanor or felony involving violence, force, or moral turpitude.
- Must have a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain a valid Alabama Driver's License prior to employment.
- Must pass the Physical Agility Test (CPAT)
- Must pass a medical exam
- Must meet the Fire Department’s weight requirements
- Must complete a 1-mile run in under 10 minutes
- New employees will be required to successfully complete approximately 22 weeks of Montgomery Fire Department Academy Training including completion of Firefighter I/II certification.
- Must obtain an EMT I State License within six months after becoming a certified Firefighter.
- Beginning on the date of employment, Firefighters are NOT to smoke tobacco products or use smokeless tobacco at ANY time (on or off duty).
- Must be available to respond to emergency incidents while off duty when called upon.
- Must be willing to meet Montgomery Fire Department’s residency requirements.
- Must be willing to work job assignment schedules including 24/48 hours or 0730-1630 hour shifts.