Nature of Work
Upon hire, new employees are appointed provisionally as Firefighter Trainees and will begin the Montgomery Fire Department's (MFD) Recruit School. During Recruit School, Firefighter Trainees must complete the physical and coursework requirements as well as follow all applicable rules and regulations. Firefighter Trainees must adhere to strict rules on physical fitness, dress code and appearance while in school. Appearance includes strict hair and shaving guidelines as set by the Montgomery Fire Academy. Trainees will also assist the department in normal Firefighter duties listed below but will do so under close supervision during their Recruit School training period. Upon completion of all Recruit School requirements, Firefighter Trainees will be appointed to the Firefighter classification and will serve a six (6) month probationary period before becoming permanent employees. All work is performed under the direct supervision of a Station or Training Division Lieutenant or Captain.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Applicants shall be at least 18 years of age at the time of employment.
- Employment with the City of Montgomery is conditioned upon the potential employee passing a pre-employment drug test. (The drug test will require the submission of a sample of hair, finger nails, and/or urine that will verify illegal drug use.)
- Must possess a diploma from a high school accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the Alabama State Board of Education or possess a General Education Development (GED) certificate. NOTE: A passing GPA from an S.A.C.S. accredited college or university may substitute for the S.A.C.S. accredited high school diploma or GED certificate requirement. This does not include internet colleges or trade school coursework.
- Must be of good moral character and have no record of convictions of a misdemeanor or felony involving violence, force, or moral turpitude.
- Must have a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain a valid Alabama Driver's License prior to employment.
- Must pass the Physical Agility Test (CPAT)
- Must pass a medical exam
- Must meet the Fire Department’s weight requirements
- New employees will be required to successfully complete approximately 22 weeks of Montgomery Fire Department Academy Training including completion of Firefighter I/II certification.
- Must obtain an EMT I State License within six months after becoming a certified Firefighter.
- Beginning on the date of employment, Firefighters are NOT to smoke tobacco products or use smokeless tobacco at ANY time (on or off duty).
- Must be available to respond to emergency incidents while off duty when called upon.
- Must be willing to meet Montgomery Fire Department’s residency requirements.
- Must be willing to work job assignment schedules including 24/48 hours or 0730-1630 hour shifts.
Kind of Examination
Applications are being accepted to fill vacancies that may occur during the life of the register. The current vacancy is with the City of Montgomery Fire Rescue
. Applicants will be screened and qualified based on education and experience as shown on the application. For this reason, applicants are urged to fill in the application form completely providing detailed information concerning the kinds of jobs they have held, the dates they held them, where and exactly what their duties were. If there are more than five qualified applicants, a written examination will be administered in order to rank applicants on the employment register, and tied scores will not be broken. Qualified applicants must also pass a physical agility examination at a later date. If there are five or less qualified applicants, they will be considered equally qualified and placed on the register in alphabetical order.
Below is the tentative testing schedule for Firefighter Trainee. Applicants will receive an email with a self-schedule link and instructions on the exam. You will use this link to choose your test date and time depending on availability. The test requires approximately 2.5 hours.
|| October 25 [Thursday]
|| Alcazar Shriners
* All test dates and times are subject to change without prior notice.
Complete an online application by visiting Montgomery City-County Personnel's Online Employment Center. Paper applications are no longer accepted. Completed applications will be accepted online until 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. If there is no closing date, the announcement may be closed at any time without prior notice.
BENEFITS: Employees are offered a competitive benefits package which includes health, dental, and life insurance, paid annual and sick leave, paid holidays, and a retirement program.
DRUG TEST: Employment is conditional upon the potential employee passing a preemployment drug test. (The drug test may require the submission of a sample of hair, finger nails, and/or urine that will verify illegal drug use).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Discrimination against any person in recruitment, examination, appointment, training, promotion, retention, discipline, or any other aspect of personnel administration because of political or religious opinions or affiliations or because of race, national origin, or any other non merit factors is prohibited. Discrimination on the basis of age, sex, or physical disability is prohibited except where specific age, sex, or physical requirements constitute a bona fide occupational qualification necessary to proper and efficient administration.
REQUEST FOR ACCOMMODATION: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is the responsibility of the applicant with a disability to request accommodation which he/she requires in order to participate in the application or examination process. The Personnel Department reserves the right to require documentation of the need for accommodation under the ADA. In order to request accommodation in the application or testing process, contact the Personnel Director at (334) 625-2675.
I9: Prior to your employment, you will be required to provide to your employer documentation of your identity and employment eligibility in order to comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
UPDATE OF CONTACT INFORMATION: It is your responsibility to update your contact information (address, phone, email) so that we can contact you about jobs. Please visit the Update Contact Information page to log in and update to your contact information at any time.