NATURAL RESOURCES BIOLOGIST IV
|Department||DNR - Wildlife and Heritage Service|
|Date Opened||11/15/2021 09:05:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/29/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$50,971.00 - $81,596.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Crystal Wilson|
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position coordinates, maintains, and supervises the assessment, processing, and integration of biological and conservation data into various geographic information systems (GIS), primarily Biotics, developed by NatureServe and the Natural Heritage Network. Biological data for nongame and endangered species, natural communities, and natural areas is collected from numerous sources and must be assessed and accurately integrated into the central data system using standard methodology.
This position also processes requests for information; develops data views, queries, and products; trains staff and volunteers working with data systems; supervises an employee who performs similar duties related to assessing and processing data into Biotics and other systems; develops new applications and protocols using the latest mobile and aerial technology for efficient collection and transfer of data; and administers and troubleshoots the proper functioning of these systems. Additional duties may include limited field surveys and assistance with land management activities.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, environmental science, aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology or physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology or a natural resources management related field of study.
Experience: Five years of experience in performing professional biological work in the field of natural resources management.
1. Candidates may substitute additional professional experience conducting research and analysis in the fields of biology, biochemistry, environmental science, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management or zoology on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute graduate education beyond a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a natural resources related field of study as described above at the rate of 15 graduate credit hours for one year of experience for up to two years of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the wildlife biology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
2. Two years of experience and proficiency with various database programs, GIS programs, and programming software, such as MS Access, Oracle, various ArcGIS versions, SQL, R, and Python.
3. Knowledge and/or experience in the conservation of the plants, animals, and natural areas of Maryland or the mid-Atlantic region.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
The online application is preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Crystal Wilson at email@example.com.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.