Planning Unit Supervisor
|Department||Maryland Emergency Management Agency|
|Date Opened||9/14/2020 07:06:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/29/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$53,214.00 - $69,215/yr with potential for growth to $85,398.00/yr DBM Salary Guidelines Apply|
|HR Analyst||Kristi Metzger|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
NOTE: This position operates within an on-call rotating schedule according to assignment within the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) to attend to all emergencies on a statewide 24/7 basis.
The Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) is the agency of State government with primary responsibility and authority for emergency preparedness policy, and for coordinating hazard mitigation, incident response, and disaster recovery. MEMA works to ensure that all Marylanders engage in preparedness activities and that the entire state is more disaster resilient. The Preparedness Branch – Planning Unit is a critical part of MEMA’s mission and the successful execution of the Agency’s Center for Preparedness Excellence.
This position reports to the Manager of the Preparedness Branch.
This position serves the State of Maryland, its State Agencies, and local jurisdictions in the following area:
- Supervision and coordination of the Planning Unit;
- Development, revision, maintenance of consequence management plans and planning products;
- Conduct inter-agency planning;
- Serve as a Planning Team Leader or a member of a Planning Team;
- Support the development of regional plans and planning projects;
- Provide technical assistance for planning to State Agencies and local jurisdictions;
- Supports the development and delivery of training and exercises; and
- Serve as a National Capital Region (NCR) Regional Preparedness Specialist supporting regional projects, initiatives, and activities.
The position will also support Agency programs, projects, and activities related to the overall Agency mission, and may be tasked to support other duties as assigned by the Manager of the Preparedness Branch.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, this position requires strong communication, managerial, supervisory, and leadership skills, as well as strong technical and presentation skills.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the Planning Unit Supervisor
- Provide Planning technical assistance
- Training & Exercise support
- Preparedness Branch support
- Support the Agency's activities in the National Capital Region (NCR)
- Support the Agency's statewide activities
- Support MEMA’s strategic goals and objectives for emergency management
- Support Maryland’s strategic goals and objectives for homeland security
- Support and participate in Consequence Management Directorate and overall Agency initiatives and programs
- Emergency and disaster prevention, response, and recovery operations as needed and/or assigned by agency Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director, Directors, or Consequence Management personnel
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university that includes 30 credit hours in Planning, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Architecture, Public Administration, Engineering, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Economics, Public Finance, Political Science, Sociology, Regional Science, Information Technology or Urban Affairs.
Experience: Three years of experience in research and planning projects related to the development and use of land, water, transportation, community or natural resources by assisting in obtaining, analyzing and conducting research on demographic, socio-economic, political, cultural, geographic or land-use trends.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in one of the specified educational fields for one year of the required experience.*
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of an additional Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in one of the specified educational fields for one additional year of the required experience.*
3. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in one of the specified educational fields for two years of the required experience.*
*Two years is the maximum number of years that may be substituted by education for the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Logistics, Urban Planning, Architect, Geospatial Intelligence Analyst or Cryptologic classifications; or Logistics, Urban Planning or Architect specialty codes in the Architect field of work, on a year-for-year basis, for the required experience and education.
Applicants must meet the selective qualification(s) to be considered. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- 1 year of experience in emergency management all-hazards contingency planning including plan writing/development and implementing the planning processing
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- 2 years of experience serving as the planning team leader for complex interagency planning initiatives
- 1 year of experience supervising personnel on/in a project, task force, unit, branch or other organizational component
- 1 year of experience conducting project or program management including objective development, task tracking, budging, and report development
- Maryland Planners Course Certification or equivalent State planning course certification
- DHS Basic National Planners Course Certification
- DHS Planning Team Leader Course Certification
- DHS National Planners Course Train-the-Trainer Certification