NATURAL RESOURCES BIOLOGIST II
|Department||DNR - Resource Assessment - Tidewater|
|Date Opened||3/1/2019 09:58:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/15/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$42,186.00 - $67,144.00/ year|
|HR Analyst||Crystal Wilson|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The Department of Natural Resources, Monitoring and Non-Tidal Assessment Division (MANTA), is currently accepting applications for a Natural Resources Biologist II position. This position will be responsible for collecting water quality data throughout the State of Maryland. Sampling will be conducted from boats, bridges, piers and within streams. This position also requires being available for weekend storm sampling. Office duties include cleaning, maintenance and calibration of sampling equipment, preparation of sampling/ laboratory supplies and delivery of samples to the laboratory, and Quality Assurance Quality Control of collected water chemistry data.
Candidates must be willing to work long and flexible hours, including on-call duty for storm sampling on weekends. Candidates must be comfortable working aboard boats, from bridges and in streams under various weather conditions. Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 50 lbs will be expected. This position may require carrying heavy equipment over rough and uneven terrain.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, environmental science, aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology or physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology or a natural resources management related field of study from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Two years of experience in performing professional biological work in the field of natural resources management.
1. Additional professional experience conducting research and analysis in the fields of biology, biochemistry, environmental science, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management or zoology may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute graduate education beyond a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a natural resources related field of study as described above at the rate of 15 graduate credits for one year of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the wildlife biology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
2. Experience with any type of field sampling.
3. Experience adhering to sampling protocols and accurately recording data.
4. Experience with water quality instrumentation.
5. Boating experience and/ or Maryland Boater's Safety Education Certificate.
6. Ability to work independently and with others to efficiently complete assigned tasks.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to:
Department of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Avenue, C-3
Annapolis, MD 21401
The Human Resources Department is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Crystal Wilson at
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.